6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 hh83
(@hh83)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Was down at the music shop yesterday. they had an old-looking blue
devil priced at $20 more than a new pevey rage 158.
Im kinda broke (actually, i AM broke :P)
And i was wondering how this amp is, quality etc?
It looked ok, and the "digital effects" arent really my thing, but
it cant be too bad, theres gotta be something usable there..
Plus, a footswitch is nice. The sound was sweet enough
with no effect and a little gain, though they only had high priced guitars
hanging nearby, guess ill come back today with my guitar
too see what it sounds like. (my chepo-caster doesnt quite sound like that $1000 Les Paul with EMG's you know?)

My question, anyway was, is it worth any money?
or should i just same it, and spend 3x-4x as much on a fender 212 or something?I know this is a taste issue, but am i looking at a bargain?
What would you do?

Never call a shovel "an ingenious hole-digging instrument"

(@english-one)
Estimable Member

Behringers are very good for their price. They come with stacks of features, and all for very little money.

However, the FX aren't particularly great, and can't be altered or edited much unless you buy the midi floorboard, but that costs about £12o...

Before buying it, you really should ask yourself; Will this be a long-term amp, or will I just replace it in a year.
I don't think the Blue devil would make a particularly great long term amp. You'll probably grow out of the Effects very soon, and the basic tone just isn't up to standard.

In my opinion, save up for a Fender (By 212, do you mean FM212? I bout an FM212 a few months ago, I was considering a Blue devil, but I really felt the fender was worth the extra money. I still think that.)

However, if you like the sound of the behringer, then go for it, but don't buy until you've tried 30 other amps!

Peter

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

The Blue Devil is from the old GX series, which is a nice amp for home usage/band practice, but won't be enough if you're looking for that great 'professional' tone. The effects are indeed, as mentioned, useless at times. The reverb is good enough though, and some other basic effects can be used as well. Don't expect much of the flangers, wahs etc.

Should you buy it? Depends. If you can get the Fender FM for a few bucks more (or, which I prefer, the Behringer GMX212), then take either of these two. But if it really is at the discount you say it is, and there is no way you can get more money, then this amp would be a nice choise as well. Can you tell us how much it is exactly?

On a sidenote, this post is a great example of the 'go decide for yourself' motto. Peter and I both went looking for a new amp some time ago, we both tried the same amps, and we both chose a different one. Just ask yourself how much you can/want to afford, what kind of amp you need, and then make a pick. If you like the sound of the Blue Devil, and you can afford it, and all the other similarly priced amps are worse to you, then get the BD.

ReplyQuote
 hh83
(@hh83)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

i know it is a taste issue, but i wanted to know if i was looking at such a good bargain as i thought i was. i bought it anyways, got the heavy box home and kept my neighbours up all weekend.
I wanted to know if it was bad quality, if anybody has had any
bad experience with these amps.
More that kind of thing, and sometimes you get the best info by getting people to start rambling, anyway, heres what ive found out about the amp so far:

The effects i agree, are not the best, but hey, not my thing anyway
so that is not a major concern of mine. i didnt buy it because it has different knobs and switches than other things.
The wah-wah, phaser,chourus etc, sound really really "cheapo"
they seem to be there more for "hey, what sick sounds can this thing make?!?" than "oooh, that sounds cool when i play <random riff here>"

the better sides, the effects are separate from the channels, so you can switch it the way you like it without stomping yourself to death.

With a 12o'clock or less gain setting, it sounds completely okay,
(and this is the way i like it too, distortion is fine, but no need to sound like your cutting frozen meat with a chainsaw, at least not for me)

and to me sounds more expensive than it was for me, plus, its really loud. maybe not gigging loud, but loud enough that you dont twist everything to max and still want some more in your livingroom or whereever you play.

The really good thing is the eq, even though it isnt seperate from the channels witch id like, it is really powerful, twist it low and the selected range disappears.

how much i payed for it exactly? well, erm, i payed what would be
$180 or so for it used. in comparison, a peavey rage 128 new costs $190-something, and a fender FM212R costs $450.
And as a student im on a pretty limited budget. ("pretty limited." heh)
I havent played for more than a year or so, and i feel ive kinda grown out of my peavey rage 158.
I can agree with people who see the distortion on this amp kind of "electronic", because it is, but hey, ive got to compare it to other things in its price range, cant compare it to a marshall stack worth $3000, now can I? for the price i gave for it, i could have gotten a peavy rage 158(already got one :P) , or a stompbox, but that wouldnt give me the volume this thing does. And heck, if i could afford an all-tube marshall stack, i would probably buy that instead.

I know this is more than you wanted to know, but i thought i would post it here in case anybody else can use it for something

Never call a shovel "an ingenious hole-digging instrument"

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I would say you did good. You could use a A/B pedal or a stereo multi-effects pedal and run both amps together or seperate. the main thing is you have something new to experiment and practice with, which will breath creative energy into your playing.

joe

ReplyQuote
(@english-one)
Estimable Member

It seems like you got the best thing for you there. Have fun with it.

The FM212 was $450? Wow, I was lucky. I got an ex demo one which was £229 (Which is about $229 when you compare the prices and tax etc). :D

But yes, I hope it all goes well.

peter

ReplyQuote