Bending Harmonics?

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Well it sounds like he's doing it anyway!!!!

In SRV's - Lenny (Live at Carnegie Hall) it sounds like he is bending his harmonics. What pedal is he using?

He better be using a pedal, if not,... I give up! J/K :evil:

How does he get that sound?

Thanks Again!

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

There are two ways I know of to do that, no three.

1) You can use pinch harmonics on a bend. Either let your thumb lightly graze the string after striking it with your pick, or actually pinch the string between your pick and finger (I use my ring finger).

2) You can strike the note, lightly touch the string 12 frets up for the harmonic and then bend the string.

3) Play a harmonic and use your whammy bar.

He might have also been getting some feedback on those harmonics. He played very loud.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Stevie Ray had another trick... play a natural harmonic, then use your fretting hand to press on the string behind the nut (on the headstock side). Instant bent harmonic.

Fun to play with. Nearly impossible with a locking nut. Hard to keep your strings in tune... but I don't think that worried him much :)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

Or where he plucks the strings behind the nut (like on Rivera Paradise between 6:17 and 6:48) and then use the whammy bar. It sounds cool.

Jimmy Page sometimes used the natural harmonic and then bending the string behind the nut trick when he played "Dazed & Confused" live.

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Sorry guys, I forgot I posted this. :oops:

Thanks for the input. I forgot about the bending above the nut trick. I really like that sound. Cool trick!

Izzy, yea Dazed & Confused is a great example as well. Great sound!

Thanks again!

ReplyQuote