Clear all

best amps ever?

11 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@elpelotero)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

What are your personal takes on the best amps ever made? I recently just found out about Bogner amps, and theyre amazing. The Uberschall is the heaviest thing I've ever heard. Why is this thing so nonmainstream? This led to me ask the question on what are some of the best amps out there to see what kind of responses the veterans will give me. And if you have a link to like a top ten by a magazine or something thatd be real cool...

(@waltaja)
Estimable Member

i suppose it depends on the stlye of music and who you ask. many will say the 59 bassman was the best amp ever. ask BB King and he might the say the old twin reverbs. i bet dick dale would say the dual showman. brian may would say the old vox ac30. jimmy page was all about the marshall's. personally i like fender amps. twin reverbs, vibrolux's, and the blues junior come to mind. but that's my opinion

"I got a woman, stay drunk all the time!"

-Led Zeppelin-

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Assuming we're only discussing tubes here of the amps I've tried myself the Orange AC30 (or do they call it AD30? Whatever, you know what I'm talking about) was the most awe-inspiring. A rather small and overlooked brand is Koch, they make great amps for relatively little money.

Just wait till Joe smells this tread.... :D

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

many will say the 59 bassman was the best amp ever.

You haven't really played electric guitar until you've played for a few minutes on one of these babies, not to mention that new they go for somewhere in the $1200 range, which is pretty sweet for possible "best amp ever" status. You certainly wouldn't have any trouble doing worse for more money.

I tend to think that the AC30 is bit overrated. Call me crazy, but I would take a Peavy Classic 30 over that any day of the week. Those suckers have balls.

Running my LP through a JCM 2000 DSL or TSL starts to make me have strong "best ever" type thoughts... but I know in the end that's just my opinion. Different amps for differents sounds and different players.

I guess I'd have to say that my personal best amp ever would be a DSL, that of course assumes I'm in a straight up rock sort of situation (which most of the time I am).

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

From my point of view the all-time classic rock and roll guitar and amp setups were a Gibson into a Marshall, Fender into a Fender, and Rickenbacker into a Vox and these were the match ups. However these are only starting points and there are many exceptions. "Hendrix with a Fender through a Marshall "Plexi.", My Gibson through a modified 59 Fender Bassman, the list goes on.

The components you put together need to sound good together. No one amp sounds great with every guitar. No distortion pedal works perfectly in every situation and there's no guitar that fits every player's style. If you already have an amp and guitar, make sure to take them both to the shop when seeking out that perfect distortion.

If you looking for that killer Rock Tone. Try various blends of preamp distortion and power-stage saturation, for a full tonal palette. Whether an amp has a tube power or solid-state power, turn the amp up loud enough to produce some degree of power-stage saturation. This brings out the power-stage saturation and engages the guitar speakers.

Power tube saturation sounds and feels spongy, it has some dynamic depth and greater tonal richness. The saturation comes on by degrees, fluctuating along with the volume. Try using slight preamp tube clipping with heavy power tube saturation using soft-breakup power tubes. Strive to bring out the physical, real, tangible tone of saturating power tubes and hard-driven speakers. This includes using feedback, room reverberation.

Just a few Quick Thoughts,

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

the best mini amp in the world is the smokey amp!!!!! http://www.smokeyamps.com/ (by the way, im not a salesguy)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@tclodes)

The "Overdrive Special" amps, made by Howard Dumble have attained legendary "holy grail" like status in guitar magazines and various websites over the years. I've never seen, heard or played one in person, they are obviously ultra-rare and obscenely expensive to buy, assuming one could track one down.

However, Fuchs Audio Technologies makes what they admit are Dumble clones. And they will even modify your existing amp, within certain parameters for less than $2000. I'm currently looking into a mod from the Fuchs company myself, and would appreciate an opinion from anyone here who has actually had the procedure done (see previous thread).

I will agree with the comment on the Peavey Classic 30, a poor man's, correction, "thinking man's" AC-30.

ReplyQuote
(@hotrod-deluxe09)
Trusted Member

FENDER HOT ROD DELUXE
I got this for christmas and i love it. before that i played through a create amp i think it is somethin like a gx15 . I DON'T THINK I WILL EVER NEED A NEW AMP FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE!!!!!!!! It has the cleanest channel and sounds great. It is pricy but well worth it. It was a huge step up I play in a band and when we practice i usually keep on about 1 and a half master volume and around 1 and a half normal volume switch. IT IS LOUD ENOUGH TO PLAY WITH DRUMS. THE AMP I HAVE IS ALL TUBE FORTY WATT. EACH WATT IN A TUBE AMP IS AROUND 3 TIMES AS MUCH AS IN A NON TUBED AMP. SO IT IS ABOUT 120 WATTS OR ACTUALLY MORE!!!!!!!(I WAS TOLD THIS BY THE MAN AT THE STORE AND SOMEONES FATHER)
I tried some type of peavy tubed amp personally i thought it is not the best. U can really get a clean soound off the Hot ROd Deluxe. ONLY 1 PROBLEM DISTORTION IS NOT THE BEST SOLUTION: BUY A DISTORIOIN PEDAL AND U R SO SET. YOU CAN PLAY WHAT EVER U WANT ON THIS AMP ANY STYLE OF MUSIC SOUNDS GREAT ON THIS SUCKER!!!!!!!!!

MY GUITAR STUFF
a Fender Mexican strat w/ two single coil Semour Duncan pickups i have a fender hot rod deluxe all tube 40 W Effects: Zoom w/pedal, V-amp, Turbo Rat, Rocktron Banshee (talbox)(i mic it and the mic comes out of a gx-15 crate amp)

ReplyQuote
(@greatone_12)

Assuming we're only discussing tubes here of the amps I've tried myself the Orange AC30 (or do they call it AD30? its' AD30
and i agree there nice but expensive and hard to come by

ReplyQuote
 Kyle
(@kyle)
Reputable Member

The best amp ever is your favorite one. Music equipment is far from universal rankings. its all about what sounds right to you.

The meaning of life? I've never heard a simpler question! Music.

ReplyQuote
(@davem)
Estimable Member

Ditto to what Kyle said. This is very subjective. My best amp is the one I currently own, until I get a GAS attack. LOL

Dave

Sometimes in life you get shown the light,
In the strangest of places if you look at it right.

ReplyQuote