Clear all

Bi amped mode or not???

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@leear)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I run 4 speakers (2 12's and 2 15's) and 2 18" subs. The subs now thanks to wes inmans advice run bi amped mode. But I also have the Behringer 1520's that can be run in bi amped mode??? my other spearkers are PR12's which are alerady bi amped speakers.

I run from amp to one 1520 then to my PR12 and the same on the other side (running stereo) so I'm daisy chaining my behringers to my peaveys. The peaveys are bi amped speakers........my behringers can be placed in bi amp mode. should i place them in bi amped mode or just run them as they are???? Should I switch my speakon connections to 2+/2-??? or just run it like i already do????

No matter where you go.... There You are! Law of Location

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

leear

I believe those 1520's are wired exactly like the subs. So I would leave them in Passive mode. The built in crossover in the 1520's will send the highs to your Peavey 12" speakers.

Leave your speakon cables as is using the +1/-1 contacts on both ends for Passive mode.

This is the original idea on the subs as well. They were designed to be daisy chained to Behringer's 10" or 12" speakers. This is why they come in Passive mode from the factory.

But when you want to run a single sub, or daisy chain two subs, then you should use the Bi-Amp mode. This bypasses the crossover. The signal runs straight through the woofers. Nothing is diverted.

By the way, how do you like the performance of your subs in Bi-Amp mode? Could you hear an improvement? How 'bout the volume?

I could clearly hear the difference with mine. More power, punch, and volume.

Next year I hope to buy another amp. These subs are doing fine getting only 375 watts, but with another amp for my Mains and Monitors I could send 650 watts to each sub. That ought to kick! :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

leear

Just to make certain, I went to Behringer and looked up the manual on your B1520s

In Passive or Full Range mode you should use the +1/-1 contacts on both ends (for the B1520s and Peavey 12's) of your Speakon cables. On the "Input" connecter (B1520) this receives a Full Range signal. On the "Output" (B1520) it is a High Pass send. The built in crossover is set at 1.8 kHz, so this and everything above will be sent to your Peavey speakers.

By the way, where did you set the crossover on the Yamaha? 100- 125 Hz is recommended. Also, a low cut set about 30Hz is recommended for subs as well.

So this sounds like a good setup. You have your Lows (30-125Hz)going to your subs, Mids (125Hz-1.8 kHz) going to the 1520s, and Highs (1.8 kHz-20kHz) to your Peavey 12's.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote