Notifications
Clear all

Blues Tone and Solid State Amps

25 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Perhaps you could try a modeler unit, like the V-Amp, or POD, or other similar product.

I use a V-Amp, and most times when I use it, I love it. Sometimes I don't, but then I stop and evaluate it. It's inexpensive, and versatile. I use it for blues all the time. Just take off the drive function, and be easy with the gain.

The blues overdrive is a very sought after sound, and varies quite a lot. The volume and tone knobs on your guitar, in conjuction with the pickup selector, can provide you with a large number of sounds.

Wes is on to something I think also, with the Danoelectrco pedals. Good pedals, very versatiles, and easy on the wallet. I'd pick one or two up anyway, just to try, if you don't like them, you can keep them, and not be out a lot of money, or you could just sell them if they didn't work out.

Good luck,

Paul

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@doug_c)
Reputable Member

I got my tone figured out. it is defined by Clapton's tone in the Cream reunion concert. whereas he played humbuckers in the original Cream he plays strats now. me too. his tone on that show sounds like mine.
lucky me. if only I could play as well as him.How many others here yathink have wished that last part, about our own playing?
Now I'm gonna have to A/B my The Very Best of Cream and Royal Albert Hall 2005 CDs and do some serious comparison listening. (I love doing research like that.)
my Tubescreamer was modified by Analogman. actually, twice, the first mod I didnt care for as the result gave me a more modern tight and grainy overdrive.
when I explain to analogmike what I wanted he said ," oh, you want a flabbier overdrive".
flabbier. that made sense.Really knows his stuff, doesn't he? Mike is great to deal with. 8)
it is a great quest in finding ones tone. fun getting there.
I learned much abpout what I didnt like before I found what I liked.
each trial brought me closer to understanding how to get there. I wish I'd said that.

And regarding Wes and Paul's comments on the Danelectro pedals, I'll say "Ditto on the Danos." I don't have the Daddy-O, but I have one of almost all of the mini-pedals (two T-Bone Distortions) and some of the bigger ones, including a "Shift Daddy" pitch bender/echo unit. Funny names, but pretty good stuff for the price.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Ignoring the fact that some solid state amps do a pretty good job of emulating tube amps (Vox, Tech21), how is it possible that a solid state overdrive pedal into a solid state amp can sound any better than simply turning up the gain control and finessing the tone stack on the solid state amp? Isn't it the case that if you overdrive a solid state amp with an outboard solid-state pedal, it's still going to sound like a solid state amp?

Just wondering.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@redsfan75)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Tone wise, what I like is the typical "Memphis Sound", BB King, Albert King, Freddie King. Also the Texas Blues/Delta Blues sound is good to my ears!

I'm looking for not a lot of grit to my 335's sound, but a bit. On the cleaner side of the distortion chain. My Marshall MG's overdrive channel is either too ON or too OFF, it just doesn't handle it very well, and the distortion that is does produce just has no warmth to it. It's dry and doesn't emulate the tube well at all. The Clean channel handles input changes very well, and the subtle shifts in tone and volume from the pickups can affet my tone from the clean side. I've got the clean dialed in, and can get a classic 335 tone for my jazz work. It's the Blues side that leaves me wanting!

Thanks for the advice, and the link to the Danelectro's. Great stuff.

ReplyQuote
(@redsfan75)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Having had no luck getting this setup with my MG, I dropped the large sum of $20.00 to get me a pedal. :)

I got a notice from Music123 that they were offering free shipping on guitar effects, so I figured what's $20.00. I've wasted that much on a lot worse endeavors. So I ordered the Berhinger Blues Pedal. I must say I'm very impressed. and while the case on that is made of plastic, it doesn't feel flimsy or cheap at all.

Tone, level and a small bit of overdrive gives me the 'crunch' that I was unable to get from the overdrive channel on the amp.

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Here's something I would try as a starting point. I would set the guitar volume and tone controls set pretty much all the way up. That way I'm getting the most sustain and tone I could from the guitar The pedal I would set the Tone control to about the 2 o'clock position, the Gain and Level somewhere around 12 0'clock. The amp I would use the overdrive channel, that way you'll have a little more to use for creating with. (being the controls go from 0 to 10) set the gain to about 4 to and the volume somewhere between 0 to 4. I would engage the FDD switch. The Tone stack (Bass,Contour,Treble) I would set to their middel positions as a starting referance point. Then set the effects to reverb.

From here I would make little adjusts to to one thing and play some, then maybe adjust it back and try another control. This may take sometime to dial in what your searching for. I would see how much of the tube type harmonic's and Characteristice voicing that I could. Once I found the tone thats when I would adjust the volume loudness wise. I would see if I could get the tone I wanted at a lower volume. You can always add volume.

Hope it puts you on the right path or at least a starting point.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@redsfan75)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hey Joe, thanks for the advice, I've been playing with it, to get it set up, but I've been going through the clean side? I just don't like the way the overdrive side sounds, but I will give it a shot.

I've gotten the tone sounding pretty good with the level set down, I don't want a LOT of overdrive so I've got the gain at about 2 right now. I always use the FDD switch and I've got the Tone Stack set to give me a Texas Blues kinda sound, a little heavy on the top, but that setting also gives me my deep Jazz tone when I kick the pedal out. Spin my tone controls on the Guitar and I can shift it even more.

Over all its a good sounding pedal that provides good versatility with my amp, and I'm very pleased with it.

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

Glad you found a good affordable pedal to get the job done. I would have recommended finding a used Fulltone soul bender or OCD. They made great effects.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

If you experiment with what I wrote you can use it to create whatever tone your looking for. The less you drive the pre-amp into the power section will effect the amout of distortion. The more you play around with different combinations of gain, volume, and equalizer setting will help you define your sound.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

If you ever decide to upgrade again, then look at the Digitech Bad Monkey Tube Overdrive. I went to guitar center looking for a pedal for my friend. I left with the Bad Monkey, and for 40 dollars it sounds GREAT. In the same series is the Digitech screamin' blues pedal. Give those a shot.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2