Boss DD-3 and DS-1

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@lucam)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi everybody,
this was a lucky Xmas, two of my gifts were these marvelous effects, a digital delay DD-3 and a distortion pedal DS-1, both by Boss.
I know that their quality should be excellent (and their price too...) and I was glad when I received them.
Now I come to the point, I don't know how to use them!!!! :-D
I mean, I plan to use the distortion pedal for the solo part in some songs, it sounds great. But for the digital delay, I am only using it to get some cool effect in some songs (Walking on the moon by Police for instance) but I have the feeling that it could be beneficial for all my sound with the proper settings.
Do you have any advice on the settings for the DD-3 (and the DS-1 also)? Is there any internet resource where I could find the effects used in the different songs and things like that?
Ah, almost forgetting, I have a MIM Tele and a cheap 15W Laney amp.
Thanks!
Luca

(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

Hate to sound cliche, but you'll get a different answer from everyone who responds.

Tone and effects are so subjective. A great tone to one person will be horrible sounding to someone else. So my advice is to take some time and play around with various settings until you find something that sounds good to your ear (or right for the song).

With that said, however, I got a DS-1 for xmas as well. I think the settings I have right now (which I like because I get a good AC/DC tone) are: Tone: 12 o'clock, Level: 11 o'clock, and Dist: 9 o'clock. I think that's right (I'm at work so I'm pulling that from memory). I constantly make adjustments until I find something I like.

I don't have the DD-3 yet so I can't comment on example settings.

Enjoy your new pedals though!

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@banre)
Reputable Member

Haha, Crank, I got one for Christmas too!

And just last night I was sitting around jamming to some AC/DC as well! I can feel a solo version of "Dirty Deeds" coming soon.

What I have found about this pedal is the great tone it has added to my lead sound. I am seriously enjoying!

Unseen Evidence
UE Reverb Nation Page

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

It is a great pedal. I guess we are finding why it is pretty much the standard distortion pedal. I've already been looking at some of the mods for it. Not because I don't like the sound it produces now, but because true bypass and slightly better components are appealing to me. Thing is, I don't know if I'd want to live without it since you have to mail yours in to have moded (not sure if I want to try my hand at it).

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@flashback)
Reputable Member

the DS1 is an AWESOME pedal. Not only does it add distortion but it is even reactive to how hard or light you play. I notice when I am strumming out some AC/DC it bites down. But when I droptune for BLS or COC it gets downright lowbass and growl. And then I can even coax some hendrix sounds if I add in my fuzzface.

GREAT PEDAL. But I want a DD-3 or 6... i would love to have some slapback.

GN's resident learning sponge, show me a little and I will soak it up.

ReplyQuote