Clear all

Break In Periods?

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I was wondering if Tube amps have a "break in" period. I've read a couple comments about them having them, but I really don't know.

The reason for this question is that my Superchamp XD has a few times seemed really muddy to me, like the bass was cranked to 12 and the treble off. It hasn't happened in about a week or so. It was on the clean channel once and the acoustic channel once (eliminating a problem with just one setting) and with no digital FX going. All the other times, this thing is on about 6-7 for bass and 4 for treble.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

(@prndl)
Reputable Member

Some speakers sometimes have break-in periods for the cone to stretch, but tube amps usually don't, although the tubes can might mellow out with time.

What you describe, however, isn't a sign of breaking in ---- more like something is wrong.

1 watt of pure tube tone - the Living Room Amp!
http://www.naturdoctor.com/Chapters/Amps/LivingRoomAmp.html
Paper-in-oil caps rule!

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Tubes are already "burned in" at the factory. Their characteristics of course change over their lifetime, but there's no "breakin" needed.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@almann1979)
Noble Member

well i had exactly the sam ething happen with my peavey valveking 212. i have no idea why but i had such a muddy sound when it was strummed (but not when i was note picking). i knocked the bass right off neary, and pressed the bright switch to give it a treble boost and it sounds nice - but i was very dissapointed at first.

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Did it continue and still happen?

I've played mine several times since the posting. Only once has it come close, and that was playing it after my son left it on for probably 3 hours.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@almann1979)
Noble Member

did it continue?? good question. i never got round to putting the bass back up (ive only had it three months). i will check on friday when we have our gig - i cant do it before then because it is just too bloody heavy to drag down from the attic just for a practice.
i hope to find a pleasant surprise and that the muddyness has gone, but if not i will just continue to have bass turned off and brightness on.

oh, and by the way, i dont know if this helps but my amp had a nob on it called "resonance". i have no idea what it does, but if i turn it up some of the muddyness reappears.
I do share your pain though, i was gutted when i first used my amp, i was so looking forward to getting it after all the positive reviews i had read and then i got such a muddy sound when strumming.

ill post again after the gig on friday and let you know if it is better. however, if you find a solution to the problem before then could you post it here so i can sort mine out??
thanks. AL

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

ReplyQuote