Clear all

Broken EFX loop?

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@wishiwasthebest)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

So, I went to the drummers house early for band practice, wanting to fool around with the EFX loop of my Peavey Triple xxx head. I was told that by putting the EQ (boss 7 band) in the loop, it can wreak major mayhem. So i wanted to try it. Pedal is battery powered, new battery, and george l cables. problem is, it didnt work.

When i Plugged the pedal in (whether the pedal was on OR off), and the efx loop engaged, the volume was dropped to a barely audible whisper. Switching cables, retryign the battery, fooling with the return/send knobs in multiple ways....no increase in volume.

However, if the pedal was not hooked up (nothing into the efx loop at all...not even cables) the efx loop gave a volume boost, depending on the return/send levels.

Any idea for a solution. I tried everything, except one thing that i just htought of now...trying a different pedal...but, like i said i forgot. I tried flipping the cables, send in, send out, return in return out.... so im lost.

any ideas?

thx!

RIP Dimebag

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

wishiwasthebest

Well, I really am not familiar with your XXX head or Boss EQ, but I looked up the manual on the XXX head. The manual says for best performance, turn up Effects Send as high as possible. The Effects Return should be balanced against the Effects Send (if the effects sound distorted, Return is probably too high).

Your Boss pedal should have a volume control too I believe. I would set it in the middle to begin with, and experiment from there.

You should go from the Effects Send 1/4" jack into the Input on your Boss EQ, and then come out of the Output on the Boss EQ and go back into the Effects Return 1/4" jack.

Also, on most EQs, when the sliders are in the middle this is called "flat". It is neither boosting or cutting frequencies. So start with all the sliders in the middle. When you "cut" a frequency, it is really just lowering the volume for that particular frequency. And when you "boost" a frequency, it is really just raising the volume for that particular frequency.

You might just start out with everything in the middle, Effects Send and Return, and the Volume and all frequency sliders on your EQ.

In addition, make sure your foot pedal has effects loop activated. The LED should be illuminated when the effects loop is active.

I don't see why an EQ would hurt being in the effects loop. I have done it before with my amp with no problems at all.

Hope this helped, let us know how it came out.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@wishiwasthebest)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

man, thanks!

however, the manual was the first place I ran too....to no avail.

Looks like I am going to take it to the shop....iy yi yi,,, if i didnt have enough things to invest my money in lol

RIP Dimebag

ReplyQuote