Clear all

Bunch of questions

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Tomorrow I'm going to get my bass guitar. While I can use it with my V-amp2 I eventually want to have a seperate unit for it. So while checking some stuff out I ended up with these questions.

1) The Bass V-amp has 'digital keybord modeling'. What on earth is it? What kind of signal would it expect? Woudl it only work with keybords or is it able to handle guitar/bass inputs?

2) Anyone's got any experience in running a guitar into a bass model? I know it is possible with real amps, but does it work with digital models? Anyone ever tried running a guitar through both a guitar and bass amp, either in series or parallel?

Anyone got any reason why I should not get the Bass V-amp? I'll try it in store ofcourse, actually already did, but some things are hard to check out so some extra info wouldn't hurt. Thanks a bunch for any help!

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Arjen

I don't know if I can answer your questions. My bass player has an effects processor. To me it is no different whatsoever than effects for guitar. You can add chorus, phase, delay, even distortion. It's just they are set up to sound good with bass or produce classic tones.

That Digital Keyboard Modeling sounds like you can make your bass sound like a keyboard. I can do that with my Zoom pedal.

I have played guitar through a bass amp before, sounded pretty good. The Fender Bassman amp was designed for bass but guitar players found it was great for guitar. So it works.

I've never played through a bass and guitar amp at the same time.

Hey, if you like effects go with it. You will probably have to tweak it just like a guitar processor.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

'digital keybord modeling'

Perhaps their talking about the DSP chip used to create the effects. I have one those units. I have messed around with the guitar racked unit, a fellow guitarist has. he has it connected to a tube power amp and a full stack 5150 cabinets. It did have some pretty cool patch's, I don't know if their factory or he wrote them. You would have to spend sometime getting it dialed in before playing a venue with it.

You may want to take a look at a unit made by ART SGX-2000 Express processor, I think it was called Midnight Express with was for bass. It was a tube pre-amp. it has a ton of effects plus you can mix the solid state and tube pre-amp signal chains together.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@e-sherman)
Reputable Member

Anyone ever tried running a guitar through both a guitar and bass amp, either in series or parallel?

Not sure if it was series and parallel. I do know that the bass amp was being controlled by my guitar amp. I assume thats series based on the name?

Anyways, it was a 200 watt bass amp with EQ connected into my Behringer AC112. I put it on the overdrive channel, put it on the neck pickup,cranked it to 20 and played some blues lead. Sounded great, only problem was it completley drowned out everyone else except for the drummer, we were at about the same volume level. :D

The king of rock, some say lives
the lizard king, is surely dead
the king of France, lost his head
the King of Kings... bled
( email me at esherman@wideopenwest.(com). I almost never check my hotmailaccount.

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

I often play my 6 string electrics thru a variety of combinations of two electric guitar amps, a bass amp and an acoustic guitar amp. I simply use my different pedals including my ME-50, tube pre-amp, and A/B pedal to route the guitar to whichever amp. I use different combinations and settings on each amp depending on what sound I am looking for. The only thing I still say is not good to do is bass guitars thru electric amps, they just are not built for it (generally). Just cut the bass frequency down a little on the bass amp when playing your 6string guitar. Just play around with it and you'll find the sounds you want. It is very fun to play around with the variety.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote