Clear all

buzzing from my marshall

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@acceptedone)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

hey guys, ive got a marshall mg250 dfx, and i notice that on the OD channel, with the volume up (the VOLUME, not the gain... i could have the gain all the way down and it'd still happen) i have a horrendously loud buzzing noise... and it gets worse the louder the amp is... and its louder THAN the amp... lol. well, here's the sitch... i have the amp plugged into a powerstrip (along with the power supply for my pedalboard) and then into the wall... but i have a 3 prong to 2 prong adapter attached to the power strip, since my house is old and we dont HAVE 3 prong outlets in my room... so i was wondering, whats the probability of the buzzing being the fault of an insufficient ground? i'm gonna haul the thing (all 80 pounds of it) out of my room and into another room to try it on a grounded outlet, but i was just wondering... so if that ISNT the problem... what do i do? i'd love to sell it and buy a fender amp (im becoming more of a fan of fender's clean AND distorted tone as opposed to marshall's crunch anyway... although marshall tone most definitely has its place in my sound... but anyway, im rambling... so i was just wondering... besides faulty ground, what could the prob be? and would it be covered under warranty? ive had the amp for 11 months now (and for some reason i never noticed the sound before... tho im sure it was always there...)... thanks.

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I have the exact same situation at my house, and some things do cause hum. Many times the hum will go away if I simply turn the TV off. So that might be the problem. However I would not say the hum is louder than the amp. Of course the more you crank the amp up the louder the hum will be when you are not playing. You may be on the same circuit as a fan or a motor. These can cause very loud and annoying hum. It could even be your refridgerator.

So try a different outlet, or go around and switch things off to see how that affects the noise. If the amp continues to hum no matter what, I would take it in to be looked at by a tech.

80 lbs.!! Been there, done that. Never again.

Something just occured to me. You say you never heard it before? Well, it's summer now, do you have an air conditioner running? They will absolutely cause a lot of noise!

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@acceptedone)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

yeah... actually, my amp is about 10 feet from my stereo, so THAT could add to the buzz (although it does it when the stereo is off as well...)... and i totally understand what you mean about the buzzing being louder at higher volumes when not playing... but i believe that that's natural... im gonna try it in another room...

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

You talking about two different things buzz and hum. The buzz could be coming from something in the amp that loose, like a transformer for example. Does it buzz just on certain notes or chords? If you using a 4x12 cabinet the center brace may have come loose, this will cause the cabinet to vibrate funny. A blown speaker will buzz at different volume levels. I've notice lately that a few newer Marshalls have had speaker problems. If you happen to have a extension cabinet or speaker plug it in and disconnect the any other ones.

A hum is a totally different animal, that can come from any number of things. theres a 60 cycle and a 120 cycle hum. the 60 can be taken care of easy, the 120 is a problem with the amp.

If the amp is still under warranty I would take it back and explain the problem and play the amp to recreate the buzz.

joe

ReplyQuote
(@acceptedone)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

the hum is a constant issue on the OD channel... it doesnt sound like 60 cycle, and i get the exact same noise with both of my guitars... its not in my effects loop, its the amp... im nearly positive its a grounding issue... we'll see.

ReplyQuote