Cabinets for Epi head

33 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
 RWB
(@rwb)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I'm looking for a tube amp. After reading the great posts about the Epi Jr. and the Epi 5W head, it seems the head would allow for some flexibility using different cabinets.

What I don't understand is the cabinet options. How much can this amp drive? The local shop doesn't carry a 1x12, except a $500 Mesa. There is a 2x12 Marshall cabinet for about $300. Or a used Marshall 4x12 for $150. The local shop suggested disconnecting two speakers in the 4x12.

This is for home/practice only. Oh wise ones, please enlighten me.

Thanks

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

It'll drive any of the above, and to much higher volumes than you may think. Don't disconnect any speakers.

In fact, one of those little 1W "Smokey" pocket amps will nicely drive a big 4x12 cab.

Ever notice the "Sensitivity" figure for guitar speakers? It's a number in the range of 92-104 or so. That's the sound volume in dB measured by a calibrated microphone placed on the midline of the speaker 1M in front of the baffle the speaker's mounted in, while a 1W 400 Hz pure tone signal is fed to it. 100 dB or so is pretty loud.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 RWB
(@rwb)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Riccochet. So I can take that out of the equation and focus on tone, cabinet size and weight, in case I ever need to transport the cab.

Any other advice for cab selection?

ReplyQuote
(@fluid)
Trusted Member

You're in luck! Epi just released a brand spankin New Cab specifically for the valve junior head! I've got the valve junior combo but this looks pretty nice, I'm thinking I might have to pick up a head and cab at some point.

ReplyQuote
(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member

Don't mean to hijack this thread but i was wondering if there is anything specific to look for when buying a head and cab separately. Not specifically the epi, just wondering if there is anything to watch out for?

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I run a Fender 4 X 12 cab with my VJ Head and it works just fine. It is loud and sounds great. I do like the look of that Epi cab though.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
 RWB
(@rwb)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

That new Epi cab does look nice. Has anyone seen a price?

ReplyQuote
(@soundsgood)
Trusted Member

i run my jr through a 2-12 cabinet,i prefer it over my 1-12 celestion.i would like to try a 4-12 cab might rent one in a couple weeks to check it out 8)

gibsonSG standard/gallagher"doc watson" acoustic

ReplyQuote
(@pelle)

Oh sweet mama, that's a good looking cab! Give it to me.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Can't find a price anywhere, but they sell their Triggerman 4 X 12 cab for $220 in Musicians Friend and that has four 12" speakers. This thing should be around $100 some where I would guess. I want one.

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

I'm thinking more than 100 cause it has the lady luck speaker in it. More like 150

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I agree with Ricochet, don't disconnect any speakers. The EVJ head will drive a 4 X 12 nicely. I played a gig with my EVJ head into a 2 X 12 last week. This amp is much louder than you think. :twisted:

Here are some clips of the EVJ head into 4 X 12 cabs. Sounds awesome.

http://www.instituteofnoise.com/L6/ampclips.asp#Epiphone

You want a great speaker to get great tone. I run my EVJ head into a 2 X 12 with Celestion Vintage 30s. Sounds great, very Marshall. I also have a little 1 X 12 with an Eminence 125 I swapped out of my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. This sounds much brighter and very Fender.

So, generally speaking, go with Celestions for a Marshall tone, Eminence or Jensen speakers for a more Fender tone.

That Marshall cab most likely has Celestion G12T-75 speakers. This will absolutely give you that huge Marshall tone if you are into that. For $150 sounds like a good deal.

I love that little cab. The 1 X 12 I have I ordered from Lopo Lines with oxblood grill. Looks almost exactly like this new cab.

http://www.lopoline.com/home.html

Lopo Line is coming out with loaded cabs with Vintage 30s. Those will be sweet. They are built well and the price is great. I really like mine.

I hope Epiphne comes out with 2 X 12s and 4 X 12s too.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I'm thinking more than 100 cause it has the lady luck speaker in it. More like 150

The SoCal 4 X 12 cab has 4 of them and it's $299.

:?

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Wow great clips.

Is it just me or do the crunch samples sound like a Les Paul is being used? All the other samples sound like single coil guitars but for some reason the crunch ones sound like humbuckers :shock:

ReplyQuote
 RWB
(@rwb)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

You want a great speaker to get great tone. I run my EVJ head into a 2 X 12 with Celestion Vintage 30s. Sounds great, very Marshall. I also have a little 1 X 12 with an Eminence 125 I swapped out of my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. This sounds much brighter and very Fender.
Thanks Wes! That's a great link to hear different cabs. Well - I pulled the trigger and bought the Epi head last night, since it was the last one in stock. WOOHOO!:D

Decided to look around a bit for the cab... I keep telling myself to have patience, but its killin' me. It just sits there whispering " buy something and play me". I may go back for a second look at the Marshall. I think it was an MG412. Need to check on the speakers in it. I've also been watching a few cabs on ebay.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3