Clear all

Celestion Rocket 12" Replacement Speaker

10 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@drewsdad)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Anyone have any experience with Celestion Rocket speakers? GC has them on sale for $29 and I thought it might be an inexpensive way to build a sealed outboard speaker for my Crate FTX30.

Thanks.

Life's journey can be hard at times, but you have to realize that you are the only one with the power make it a worthwhile experience.

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Found one single review at Harmony Central.

http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data/Celestion/Rocket_50-1.html

Found one review at American Musical

http://www.americanmusical.com/itemreviews--i-CEL-RKT5008--m-3_17.html

At that low price, it's worth the chance. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@drewsdad)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the info Wes, I didn't think to look at Harmony-Central for replacement speakers. This might be a good inexpensive project, I can make a cabinet out of mdf to see if it would work as a sealed speaker - and if it doesn't, I just take the back off. I'd try shoe-horning it into my Crate, but I already know it's too tight a fit for that.

Life's journey can be hard at times, but you have to realize that you are the only one with the power make it a worthwhile experience.

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

IMO, Particle board works just as well. MDF is pretty expensive stuff.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I built some speaker cabinets out of 1x pine, lined it with hospital bed foam and put a 3 inch hole in the back for air relief (gotta let the speaker cone move) and boy did it have a lot of bass.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

I bet that puppy thumped with that bed foam as filler! I've used insulation in the past with good results.

One of the key areas not to avoid is the seams where the wood meets...... gotta have some good glue (Liquid Nails is good stuff) and I like to add some chalking on the inside as well to button up the seams a little better.

ReplyQuote
(@drewsdad)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I was originally leaning towards a sealed cabinet because I'm just too lazy to do the math for sizing a port. I googled and found formulas for sizing the cabinet and calculating volume displacements, but ported cabinets looked a bit involved for me. Although, now that I think about it, I could just use the same size port as in in my old Pioneer HPM 100's since they have 12" drivers, should be close enough. I actually like working with mdf (though it's hard on sawblades) and I can get a good price on it through work. I'll have to figure out the lining when I see what my cheapest options are.

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I'm a Celestion fan through and through. Those will work great for what your wanting to do. Please remember there is more to building a speaker cabinet than just cutting and nailing some materials together. To get the best possible out come it takes planning. Thought's of material's to use for the cabinet, assembly parts (screws, glue, covering, grills, etc). Open or closed back. Doing some research and careful planning can save you both time and money. What I would do is track down different cabinet maker designs, measurments, and characteristics. From there I would decide on what will work best for your application.

Yes, Speakers and their design can make or break your sound. If done right you'll have something you can take pride in and will last you a life time.

Here's a link with some excellent information to help you get started. Design Thoughts

Joe

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Not that I am trying to steer you away from the MDF but, you have to consider the weight of it after your project is done. MDF is very dense and in the long run could be pretty hefty in the mobile area.

ReplyQuote
(@drewsdad)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thankfully, weight will not be an issue here, this soon to be fifty-year old is content to play for himself at home in the basement. I know quite a few musicians who play out a lot, but I'm still at that stage where my family is just simply amazed that they can recognize what I'm playing. This little single speaker project will hopefully let a relatively cheap amp sound a little better for a while longer. When the weather warms up a little I'll fire up the tablesaw out in the garage, slap this together with some biscuits and see what I've got. :D Thanks Mike/forrok_star/Nils/Wes for the advice and input.

ReplyQuote