Clear all

Cheap "in ear" monitoring?

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@english-one)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Just wondering if there would be an easy/cheap way to sort out some in ear monitors? It's for a friend of mine who tends to play at venues with really poor monitoring. So I'm wondering if there's some way of setting up some in ears, so that he could hear his voice, and his guitar above the rest o the band, in a unit that he can just take on stage with him that won't interfere with the PA.

I was thinking along the lines of connecting his guitar to a little mixer, panning that completely left, and sending the left side output to his amp, and then plugging his mic into the same mixer, panning totally right, and running the right hand signal to the desk. Then he can have some headphones coming out of the mixer, which he can adjust the volume of without altering the mix.

I don't know whether it would work at all, what do you think? Any better (and cheap!) solutions?

Any input would be good

(Also, does anybody know whether it's possible to get reasonably cheap headset mics?)

Thank you

Peter

(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member

Yes
I think a small mixer as the Behringer UB502 or UB802 ( http://www.behringer.com/UB802/index.cfm?lang=ENG ) could do this monitoring job.
They have two output paths, one main output ( to main PA system or recording equipm.) and one monitor speaker / control room output (with a headphone amp).

You send the mic and guitar signal to the main PA system via the main output and listen to yourself via the ctrl room/headphone output.
And you can do even more advanced monitoring tricks by using the "FX out" in combination with "tape out" and the "tape to ctrl room" button.

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

ReplyQuote
(@english-one)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thankyou very much!
Excelent stuff. Yeah, I was actually thinking about the UB502, as I've got one of these. I'll try it out and see if it's practical.

Thankyou

Peter

ReplyQuote