Notifications
Clear all

Cllipping is crippling!

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@lboiv001)
Topic starter  

I have an issue with clipping while playing live......

My signal chain is:

Godin xtsa>>>Roland GR-33>>>>>Roland ac 90>>>>>Mono line out to snake, and the to the board.

Last week I was barely in the mix, and had some distortion tainting the already weak signal I had to work with. Re-routing inputs/outputs did little to correct the problem.

I have used the Roland amp before without much of an issue, and reducing the volume on the GR-33 diminished my effects to the 'why bother' level.

Would a DI box with adjustable impedance be what I need to fix the send out signal on the AC-90?

I don't see any way to adjust the send signal level on the ac-90. Perhaps there is some way to adjust the output signal from the GR-33, though I haven't found it in the user manual and haven't seen anything online specifically about this issue.

Please help!

Thanx in advance.

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I think the first question is what is the volume like when not connected to the board (i.e. no jack plug in the mono line out socket)?

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Last week I was barely in the mix, and had some distortion tainting the already weak signal I had to work with. Re-routing inputs/outputs did little to correct the problem.

I don't see any way to adjust the send signal level on the ac-90. Perhaps there is some way to adjust the output signal from the GR-33, though I haven't found it in the user manual and haven't seen anything online specifically about this issue.

Please help!

Thanx in advance.

You might be clipping the input on the gr-33

Have you set the pickup sensitivity to the right level? The specs on your guitar say it has RMC type transducers, and the "TurboStart" Manual from Roland has this note: "Note: If you have a guitar with RMC pickups, (Godin or Brian Moore) youÂ’ll have to set the sensitivity of each string to around 1 or 2."

Here's a link to the Roland manual if you don't have it: http://cms.rolandus.com/assets/media/pdf/GR33ts.pdf

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

I guess we have this ironed out! :roll:

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@lboiv001)
Topic starter  

Sorry, greybeard and moonrider. I don't get email alerts from this site that tell me I got a reply. I had to google my own username to recover the different forums I posted on that I don't get email notifications from. And I do appreciate your time taken to respond.

I didn't adjust the pickup sensitivity because using the practice PA I didn't have quite the same problem, though it was slightly hot. I bought a passive di box to resolve not only this issue, but to make sure I have a good balanced signal going into the snake...I needed to get one anyway.

I will be using it tonight-I'lll let you know how it goes (and I will double check the input sensitivity while I'm at it).

My thoughts at this time are that I should get a good stereo di box to use just for the LR outs on the GR-33, panning my synth effects hard R&L in the mains (for the effects that are enhanced in stereo). I will still use the passive Di I already bought for the Roland AC 90 line out. The question is which one, though? It seems obvious I should get a passive versus an active one, but is that neccessarily the case? I'm looking at the Radial ProD2...good reviews on that one.

Any thoughts?

ReplyQuote