Skip to content
Compressor? My chor...

Notifications
Clear all

Compressor? My chords are loud and single notes soft . . .

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@corbind)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

As many of you know I'm a chord guy. I'm starting to hate some songs that mix up loud chords and soft single notes. Let me give you an idea.

I've been working on Jumpin' Jack Flash and another song (On the Road Again by the Dead). JJF starts with 2 quick chord hits to 9 single string picked notes. The 3 string chords I play sound powerful but the single strings sound quiet. I've never had single strings be as loud as multiple strings. On the Dead song, it starts picking numerous single notes so I have my volume way up so it sounds good. It switches quickly to a F chord back to single picking back to strumming chords for the verses. My guitar is so loud when I hit a chord so constantly dancing on my volume pedal (turn up in single notes or turn down in chords/verses).

I was thinking of getting a compressor. Would that solve my problem? Would it make the single notes about as loud as the chords? Also, do any of you have an idea what compressor (or du-dad) to get to help rid this annoying phenomenon?

:?:

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

A compressor is good for some things, but for what you're describing, Dennis, I think practicing and learning better touch and dynamic control is best in the long run. You really want to develop the ability to control playing loudness on the fly from single lines to double stops to chords without too much in the way of effects. It can be difficult to learn this, but it goes a long way toward making one a more versatile player.

For a tune such as JJF, all this should be a little easier, as you are probably playing with some amp saturation anyway -- and saturation is really a type of compression (but not a "compressor") that simply puts out rich, even order harmonics as the fundamental tone is compressed. The other thing I recall about JJF is playing is playing the riff using chords and double stopped fourths instead of single lines. This might make it easier as well.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Dennis

Jumpin' Jack Flash was actually played with an open tuning, but here is a tab for regular tuning. As Greg said, use some double-stops to give a fuller sound. I would also use a slight overdrive preset with this riff.

The hash marks show where you put emphasis. This is done by striking the strings with slightly more force.

/ / / / /

e--------------------------------------------
b--------------------------------------------
g--------------------------------------------
d---------------7-----------7------------7---
a--9--9---7--9--7-----7--9--7------7--9--7---
e--7--7--------------------------------------
d d u d u u d u u d u

/ / / / /

e--------------------------------------------
b--------------------------------------------
g--------------------------------------------
d---------------7-----------7------------7---
a--9--9---7--9--7-----7--9--7------7--9--7---
e--7--7--------------------------------------
d d u d u u d u u d u

The first two double stops at the 7th fret are a quarter note duration. The 3rd double stop at the 7th fret is an eighth note.Try playing these double stops with an upstroke. But the accent or emphasis is done with your picking technique. Might take a little practice to get the right dynamics on this riff.

I am not familiar with the other song.

Hope this helped.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Yea, I saw the open tuning with Richards open G capo 4 to get B. It's really easy with that tuning but I won't for just one song. I have been playing that one like that except the double stops I'm only hitting the root E (not the A). But if I did would I be playing an A5 or Esus(no 5th)? But it would sound much fuller. I'll definitely try that tonight. The big test is at practice tomorrow night with the guys.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote