Clear all

compressor

13 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@uninvited)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

i m trying to capture some smooth overdrive tones for rythm chords.. i found some..they r good for arpeggios but become too distorted while playing rythm chords..i want them smooth also :cry: ...so can a compressor(fast compression) solve this problem?..Because i heard that compressors are useful with only clean sounds but not with overdrive and distrtion..also i heard that compression adds extra hiss to sound..are those true? thx

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

a compressor would work for you. get an MXR. it's an awesome pedal.

for smooth overdirive a compressor extends the sustain and balances the tonal qualities of ll the strings.

for clean. it is over the top excellent. clear appeggioes. well balanced. my guitar never sounded so good.

Ive fooled around with the controls. maxing it out Ive gotten nice chorus sounding weavers...running clean.
backing off some the pick attack is smoothed. the notes all sing out.

setting the volume output a bit higher on the compressor than my guitar volume works great for leads. start with the compressor off then when you want to get out front step on it and your sound cuts through.
so it is similar to a treble boost pedal except the treble usnt emphasized.

compressors are very interesting pedals.
general rule is a little goes a long way.

check out the info on anlaogmans web site. he goes into compressors throughly. also makes and sells them.

http://www.analogman.com

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@uninvited)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

thx dogbite for the useful information..i ll first try my digitech rp200's compressor..but i think it alters the tone..maybe an analog one will work better..it s time to practise now :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@dimebag)
Eminent Member

in all honesty a multi fx gererally does a lot of things okay instead of one thing exceptionally
i have a rp200 too an then bought a marshall compression pedal for about £45 an there is a world of difference

dimebag

"forever stronger than all"

dimebag darrell[rip]

ReplyQuote
(@uninvited)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Dimebag so you didn't like the rp200's compresoor either right? :lol: but i agree with you..multi Fx is cheaper and versatile..i m planning to buy Boss compressor pedal ..i heard no complaints about any Boss pedals..it s more expensive but i think it s worth it..

ReplyQuote
(@uninvited)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

one more question..is your compressor pedals always on in the chain and with the same settings for clean and overdrive sounds ..or do u turn them on according to the sound or song..

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Yes mine is. I don't have a clean setting. I use effects post in the signal chain. Meaning I have my tone first then add effects. The compressor is the first in the effects chain.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@uninvited)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

ok forrok star...i will consider this...the dry sound should be great first of course..if not effects aren't workin great

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Dimebag so you didn't like the rp200's compresoor either right? but i agree with you..multi Fx is cheaper and versatile..i m planning to buy Boss compressor pedal ..i heard no complaints about any Boss pedals..it s more expensive but i think it s worth it..

Some multi-effects are cheaper, most arent. For the price of an, for example, Eventide multi-effect you could buy every Boss pedal ever designed several times. Proper multi-effects typically offer far better control over each effect and can do things seperate pedals can't, like changing the order of the pedals within a milisecond. Boss isn't *that* good anyway. It's solid, relatively cheap and does what it needs to do, but there are far better things around. Put some boss pedals in a loop and notice the tone sucking, then compare that to other brands. Not trying to discourage you from using their stuff, it is really ok, but the 'boss is king' nonsense is really nothing but well-executed marketing.

Joe isn't talking about 'make sure your core tone is correct' (which you do need to make sure obviously) but more about placement of effects. Putting your compressor after or before your micced amp makes a insane difference and you won't be able to copy Joe's setup by putting the same compressor between your guitar and amp instead of putting it after miccing the amp itself.

ReplyQuote
(@uninvited)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

you are right Arjen..everything seems to be so complicated sometimes!...Because there are so many of everything..but i think "less is more" or "less should be more"...and i don't wanna be a guitarist who thinks how much money that much tone..sometimes it seems only an amp and a guitar is enough..no compressor not much effects!..and sometimes i think all these huge gears and brands of artists are a way of makin people "buy more and more"..for example if i had an all tube half stack and cabinet( 4*12 speakers)..i wouldn't think to change the speakers so much (but if mine was good enough too)..are these details are really that noticable?..Because nowadays i noticed that im not playing the guitar but just makin sounds :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Ah well, it is really what you yourself want. I'm trying to get my arse on a Dutch Royal Conservatorium, doing CMS (composing, arranging and studioproductions) and I tend to get way overboard with how it sounds instead of how I play. Many guitarists don't really use compressors and the likes, ever. But you can bet anything that their producer will use compressors when creating the mix. If you don't want to go insane over what speakers to use, don't. A guitar, cable, amp and skills are what make 90% of your sound, and if you make it big you can hire someone to make sure the other 10% is in order.

If you care, check this:
http://www.harmony-central.com/Effects/Articles/Compression/

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Yes. There is more to creating a great tone than most think. Its how you combine and create with what you have that counts. When I started out wasn't much more than overdriving tube amps, to get fuzz or a different sound I used blown or sliced speakers. Many years later I'm still overdriving tube amps and using effects post. Here's one setting for my compressor. Then into Expander, Noise gate, Equalizer, AES (Acoustic Environment Simulator), Mixed at Digital 100% and Analog 75%.

Drive 75%
Output 100%
Slope 3.1
Attack 4ms
Release 750ms

Even if you take away all the effects and overdriven tube amps, plug me into a small solid-state amp I still play and sound like me. Sure it doesn't have the same fascinating all trills sound but makes most wonder. And ask. Hows he get all from that little amp. I tell them practice and play whats in your heart.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@uninvited)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Arjen ,Forrok star thx for the useful information..also success concerning the Conservatory Arjen :wink:
By the way i m a new architect doing my master degree education about Acoustics&Noise Control in Istanbul.. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask...

ReplyQuote