Notifications
Clear all

Decent beginners amp?

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@moses)
Topic starter  

I've got Randall Ex Series amp. I couldn't find a listing for it on the Randall website. It's a cheaper amp. I only paid something to the tune of 120 for it, new. I didn't want to go all out right at the beginning. Anyways, I was just wondering what your thoughts were on this particular amp. I'm also thinking of getting a nice little Pigsnose. 90 bucks new, batteries last forever, great sound for such a small amp, and it looks pretty sweet.

Thanks

(@guitbusy)
Trusted Member

Almost anything, if it can eeek out a decent tone is a good beginning amp. I have found that simpler is better, to start. As you listen more you will start hearing tones you want to emulate, and may need to buy new pedals or amp to get the tone. This allows you to make big ticket decisions later, after you have played for a while, and realize more what you like and don't like. I don't have any experience with the amps you have listed, but they both probably make good beginning amps. Also the pig nose sounds like it would be a good travel amp.

Older Newbie

ReplyQuote
(@decieved)
Trusted Member

marshall mg15dfx, great beginner amp. also a roland cube 15

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Almost anything, if it can eeek out a decent tone is a good beginning amp. I have found that simpler is better, to start. As you listen more you will start hearing tones you want to emulate, and may need to buy new pedals or amp to get the tone. This allows you to make big ticket decisions later, after you have played for a while, and realize more what you like and don't like. I don't have any experience with the amps you have listed, but they both probably make good beginning amps. Also the pig nose sounds like it would be a good travel amp.

The Roland Cube 15 is a much better sounding, more versatile battery-powered amp than the Pignose. I own both, and find the Pignose to be very limited tonally.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote