Notifications
Clear all

Different Ohm Loads on Chan1 and Chan2

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@rpmad)
Topic starter  

Is it ok to have 4ohms on Channel 1 and 8 on channel 2? I have a Beringher EP2500, 2 Yamaha S115V Cabs, and 2 Beringher B1800X Subs. I was wanting to just use 1 sub for an upcoming job, but was afraid to split my ohm load. I was also concerned about putting both Cabs on channel 1 and the sub on 2 because I would lose my Stereo sound. So I was also wondering if I could put 1 Cab and 1 Sub on channel 1 and the other cab on channel 2 by itself. I understand that channel 1 would then be 4ohms and "louder" than channel 2, but that is not a concern.

Help me out. Thanks
Ryan

(@diceman)
Reputable Member

Yes , it is OK . I have been running two 8 ohm monitors off one side of a stereo amp (4 ohm load ) and one 8 ohm monitor off the other for the last 6 years with no problems from the amplifier , knock on wood ! As long as you don't go under the minimum ohm rating of the amp you will be fine .

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

So I was also wondering if I could put 1 Cab and 1 Sub on channel 1 and the other cab on channel 2 by itself. I understand that channel 1 would then be 4ohms and "louder" than channel 2, but that is not a concern.

Channel 1 will really not be much louder, because the 2 speakers (full-range & sub) will split the wattage. So I doubt you will really hear a difference between your two full-range speakers.

And as was said, it doesn't really do anything to run a different ohms load on each channel of your amp. Those channels are two completely seperate units from each other, they run independently of each other except when you operate in "bridged" mode.

And welcome to Guitar Noise. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote