Clear all

Digitech RP-50 Woooooooh

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@oktay)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

OK. My problem with this thing is that it produces a distinct hum sound when I pluck a string, then goes back to total silence. So it becomes very obvious that the signal is going through a device when trying to record. If the hum were always there, it would be another problem but the fact that it's only there while it's processing a signal is very disconcerting.

I don't believe it has anything to do with compression settings. It might be a noise gate issue but I am not sure.

I know a few people in the forum own these. Is there a way to get rid of this? Is it a better idea to just dump it on ebay and look for a real effects processor? What brand/model would that be?

Thanks for reading.

oktay

(@drewsdad)
Estimable Member

If you are using a high gain amp model, the RP50 tends to be noisy. You can try using a lower gain setting for that particular model as well as lowering the overall output level to about 25-30%, which tames it a bit. You can also try adjusting the noise gate down to the lowest possible threshold for the hum, or turn it off entirely. Unfortunately, there's not much more you can do to reduce the background noise, digital models in the RP50 tend to generate background noise. Now one thing I haven't tried is using a separate noise gate after the RP, I'm not sure how useful it would be. :?

Life's journey can be hard at times, but you have to realize that you are the only one with the power make it a worthwhile experience.

ReplyQuote
(@oktay)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the info. I actually tried again tonight and the results were better. It might have been a shielding/grounding issue somewhere.

http://konspyre.org/my/audio/guitar/2006/jethrotull-aqualung-intro.mp3

There is some noise, but there was an AC running right next to me. That might account for that.

oktay

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I had this problem too, though I found the best way to deal with it is too ignore it. It doesn't come through when you play anyway.

Also, I find leaving the noise gate off helps. But I can't hear the hum in your recording.

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I don't have one handy at the moment to give you thename of the effect that maybe doing that. I think its the speaker simulator or the anz/anr something. You'll have to experiment.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@drewsdad)
Estimable Member

Definitely forget using the compressor model, I was playing around with my RP50 the other night and that model is very noisy, even on the lowest setting. Unless you are really cranking things up, setting a lower output level does help reduce the unit's overall noise.

Life's journey can be hard at times, but you have to realize that you are the only one with the power make it a worthwhile experience.

ReplyQuote
(@oktay)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I came to this - my own post from years ago - through a google search when I had the same problem with the same unit. Turns out I was giving it 6V of power as opposed to 9V. This, is a note to myself, more than anything :)

ReplyQuote