Do we need to use monitors

9 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@general-savage)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi
My band has played some small gigs with acoustic instruments + electric bass, a Mackie 12 channel mixer and power pa speakers. We haven't used monitors and the sound was good. We are now introducing a drummer. He says this means that monitor speakers are essential when you have drums and you will not be able to hear yourself playing without them.

I am worried about the extra stress that setting up monitors will bring to a gig that is coming up. I am the guitarist, the lead singer and also do the sound. I really like to keep it simple and not introduce additional things to go wrong unless it is essential.

I would be grateful for some feedback :wink:

Thanks
Dave

General Savage

(@scrybe)
Famed Member

Well, I've done gigs with electric guitar, bass, and drums with no monitors, and they've always gone fine (most importantly, the singer has usually been able to hear themselves well enough to perform perfectly).

The only acoustic stuff I've done has either been without drums or with monitors (a pro company did the set up, so it wasn't any hassle for me or others involved).

Can't you test this in rehearsal?

And, while others with gigging experiences similar to your set up may agree with your drummer......it is always possible that he/she is saying this so they don't have to worry about playing at an acceptable volume (i.e. if they think themselves the next Keith Moon).

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

We haven't used monitors and the sound was good.
I am the guitarist, the lead singer and also do the sound.

A little off topic, but how can you know the sound was good in the house from your position on stage?

As to monitors, we've got a couple singers in our church band who insist they can hear themselves just fine without them. Thankfully, when our new hall is built we'll have proper stage monitors; those singers are in for a bit of a surprise. :twisted:

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member

As to monitors, we've got a couple singers in our church band who insist they can hear themselves just fine without them.

Wow, you're lucky... our singers always claim they can't hear themselves... even with their monitors turned ALL THE WAY UP! :roll:

"There won't be any money. But when you die, on your death bed, you will receive total conciousness. So, I got that going for me. Which is nice." - Bill Murray, Caddyshack ~~ Michigan Music Dojo - http://michiganmusicdojo.com ~~

ReplyQuote
(@leear)
Honorable Member

Monitors are nice. As far as extra stress its just 2 extra speakers and cable. (if you buy powered monitors) You can get buy without them but not as good. Once you experience monitors you'll wonder why you never used them in the first place. (ALSO IEM In Ear Monitors are awesome) I am the lead guitarist, Back-up singer, Ye Ole Sound Technician, and more for our groups. Its not bad (well i thrive on stress too) :twisted:

No matter where you go.... There You are! Law of Location

ReplyQuote
(@general-savage)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

We will need to do a rehearsal certainly. The stress comes from adding something new to worry about.
Thanks for your responses.

General Savage

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

General Savage

Monitors are good, but you can easily play small gigs without them. Just turn one of your Main speakers half way round, partially facing the band. As long as everybody controls their volume you will be able to hear vocals easily. The other Main will have to fill in the empty space, so it will be angled in slightly also. This works, I have used two speakers like this many times.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I don't think monitors are a hastle. I have a set and as a matter of fact, thats what we run to practice in the house, just the monitors. If and when we play out again, we add the mains and the power amp for them but the monitors won't be a hastle cause they are the constant. I suggest if you do use monitors, use them for vocals only. I like to add a little bit of the instruments to the front of the house mix, but standing near your amp should be monitor enough for your guitar. Keep in mind I'm not a professional and have not played a gig in a while, but I do have a PA system and play around with it ocasionally. :wink:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

General Savage

Monitors are good, but you can easily play small gigs without them. Just turn one of your Main speakers half way round, partially facing the band. As long as everybody controls their volume you will be able to hear vocals easily. The other Main will have to fill in the empty space, so it will be angled in slightly also. This works, I have used two speakers like this many times.

Yup yup. Works great. Cheap too.

ReplyQuote