Clear all

Drall amps

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Anyone heard of Drall amps? There's a couple being sold on Ebay Germany at a ridiculous price - which tends to indicate that this is not quite Kosher.
The seller reckons the amp is 100W output into 8Ohms from 2 6L6GC valves, which seems rather high to me, although I'm no expert.

I'd have thought more in the 40-50W area and drawing 100W.

His description is not as accurate as I'd expect (e.g. speaker is not Nady/Celestion), but the price sounds good :lol:

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=230140674409&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=013

Any comments welcome (except "If it seems too good to be true......... :lol: )

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

It's just possible to hit 100W from 2 6L6s if you're running them in Class AB2 very near Class B conditions with 500V on both the plates and screen grids in ultralinear connection. (Not conducive to long tube life with modern cheap Russian tubes, but hey, they are cheap and expendable.) I built one like that a few years back. (And the power amp of mine works great, though the preamp section of mine is an unnecessarily complex mess that I intend to completely redesign, lost interest in and put way on the back burner.) If you really want to get abusive with the tubes, you could skip the ultralinear connection, use a fixed screen voltage supply at a slightly lower voltage and get it. Might even get away with 500V on the screen, but you'd be really asking for major warranty headaches, if you were a commercial builder. But there's no way you'll get much past 60-65W with a conventional Class AB1 setup working within the tube ratings. If you want that kind of power, the thing to do is go to a quad of 6L6s or a pair of 6550s.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote