Effects when playing

10 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I didn't know what to call this post but here goes. We have a bunch of guys that get together and play every Friday with the possible goal of playing out although that has nothing to do with my question.

One of the songs we are working on is War Pigs by Black Sabbath. For those who know me I kinda like to make a cover as authentic as possible so my question is how could I go about getting that air raid signal sound in the beginning of the song. I would have to be able to trigger it from a pedal or something but I'm not exactly sure what's out there to do that.

I think I read once about a Boss Loop station where you could record sound clips into it and then trigger them from the pedal.

Is anyone using effects like that while playing live? How do you do that?

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

The Boss RC-20XL has a mic jack that you could use to record an air raid siren sample & then trigger it with your foot during the beggining of the song. $249 bucks though, but hey, you may be able to use it for alot of other stuff too.

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Dan,

Yea I think that's the one because I know it was about $250 a bit expensive for what I would do with it but I think you can just play a rhythm on your guitar and then immediately play it back and loop it to solo over. I was thinking about getting it for that at the time I looked into it.

But what I do is just a hobby and nothing too serious so I need to think about how much I want to spend on something like that.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Anybody got an MP3 player? Record the siren and put it on there. Plug the MP3 player into your PA. Don't know about triggering it with a pedal, but I think you could tap the play button while playing. War Pigs opens with a bunch of sustained chords right? You could throw some tunes on there too for breaks and such. :wink:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Actually TR for what I'm doing, playing int he basement that might work, I wouldn't need the extra tunes at this point. We used to play with a guy from work that plays with a very expensive electronic drumset. That would let you record clips and then trigger them anyway you want, unfortunately he doesn't play with us anymore and the current drummer uses a regular acoustic set.

I should have asked this earlier wher do you think I could find an air raid signal sound clip?

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

You had to ask, didn't you :-)

http://www.airraidsirens.com/

Click on the Sounds and Video link - I'm at work, so I didn't.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Alan. After I posted the last email I thought DUH I could just to a websearch. I found several. A couple were really good but on one site I couldn't download them and the other I needed a different player. I'm at work myself so I have to search more later.

Thanks for taking the time to look.

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Jeez Chris, when you were in Charlotte, were you into trying Sabbath and we just didn't get to that, yet. That's the stuff I'm focusing on now. Sabbath to NWOBHM. Raw and Rocking.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Charles,

I know but I suxed then...wait I still sux but alittle less. I actually would have prefered playing heavier stuff but I wasn't up to most of that yet.

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Oh well, that's cool. We keep trying. I thought I had found a bass player that wanted to jam some Sabbath, Priest, and Maiden. So I started working hard on some Maiden (Run to the Hills and Hallowed Be Thy Name) and haven't heard from her in weeks. Flaky, I guess.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote