Clear all

Epiphone Valve Junior 1 X 12 Extension Cabinet

13 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I just received my Epiphone cabinet. I was using a 1 X 12 cab I made from plywood and OSB that had a front loaded Fender 12" 4 ohm 70 watt speaker. The Epi cab has a 12" Eminence speaker that is rated for 70 watts but is 16 ohms.

It doesn't sound a lot different than the cab I made. (I had copied the Epi specs) Both sound good, but the Epi sure looks better and my home made special was prone to some rattles at high volume. The Epi can take the volume better as it is made of better plywood and has tighter construction.

I'm a happy camper!

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

(@steve-0)
Noble Member

Cool stuff! I just picked up the Epi Valve Combo, and I am quite happy with it. I don't have the most expensive gear, but if I plug my "econo-strat" (basically a cheap no-name strat knockoff that I'm upgrading) into my RP-80 and then into the amp I can get some incredible tones, so I can only imagine what an expensive guitar and some nicer effects pedals would sound like.

Anyways, neat stuff! For the price, Epiphone really makes some awesome equipment.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Cool, TR!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

That looks nice TR. I'll probably be getting the cab to match mine as well. 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I like those cabs, look great with the head. I have read that these cabs only have one jack, is that correct? If so, that's kind of a shame, at 16 ohms you could stack four of these for a 4 ohm load. That would be a pretty impressive stack. 8)

Congrats on the new cab and thanks for the review.

Wes

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Wouldn't be a big job to add a jack.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Nope, it wouldn't .... or make a little jack box to string them together in parallel. But of course .... I have a 4 X 12 cab I had been using. I made the 1 X 12 cause I wanted smaller size and more portability. Now it even looks good! 8)

ReplyQuote
(@bluezoldy)
Reputable Member

Cool stuff! I just picked up the Epi Valve Combo, and I am quite happy with it.

I am due to pick up one of these tomorrow but I keep coming across people saying they have a really annoying hum that gets worse as the volume increases.

Have you experienced this?

♪♫ Ron ♪♫

http://www.myspace.com/bluemountainsblues

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

1) The older line had this problem, the new line doesn't. That goes for the combo, the head always was the new version. I doubt the old version can be bought new anymore.
2) All tube amps hum, and the hum always gets worse when the volume is increased. That's the rough side of life. :P

ReplyQuote
(@bluezoldy)
Reputable Member

1) The older line had this problem, the new line doesn't. That goes for the combo, the head always was the new version. I doubt the old version can be bought new anymore.
2) All tube amps hum, and the hum always gets worse when the volume is increased. That's the rough side of life. :P

Thanks, Ignar. I'm getting the combo which sells in Australia for $210. The head and 1x12 cab total $500 which I can't justify.

Can't wait to get the little devil - I can see hours of noisy fun coming up.

♪♫ Ron ♪♫

http://www.myspace.com/bluemountainsblues

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I've got one of those early VJ combos. It hums more than it should, but the hum does not increase when the volume increases. That's because the excessive hum comes from a bad design decision to lay the board out with the trace to the V1B grid, the second section of the 12AX7 AFTER the volume control, being right next to the trace for one side of the heater power where it comes onto the board. Rectifying the heater power with a simple bridge rectifier and 1000 uF capacitor filter reduced the intensity of the hum somewhat, doubled its fundamental frequency to 120 Hz (making both the speaker and the human ear respond better to it), and added tons of higher harmonics to it. So it wasn't as effective a fix as hoped, it still hums, but I can live with it.

Other models of VJs may hum for other reasons. There have been several evolutionary steps in the series, mine was one of the first out of Musicians Friend.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I had one of the first EVJ's. The hum didn't bother me. I sold it to my friend and got the EVJ Head. I can say the head is quieter, but the combo's hum was not an issue. The new ones are supposed to be free of that issue. I know my head is.

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

I'm gonna hold of on the Epi 1x12 cab. I am using a Line6 1x12 extension cab for one of my EVJ heads and the speaker "in cab" of a Crate 1x12 amp for the other EVJ head. They don't look pretty, but I don't really care. What I am looking to do now is get a 4x10 or 4x12 with the speakers each being 25watts for some nice clear tones moving some air and a 1x10 or 1x12 with a 25 watt speaker so it will break up sooner than the current cabs I am using. Still don't care about the looks, just the sounds. Just don't have the G.A.S. money right now!

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote