Clear all

EQ and Distortion

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@manti)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

[Note: I have looked up the forums for something like this but every time I search for something like: "EQ Distortion Pedal Position" the result returns like 300 threads and for the first 50 there's nothing like I want to know!! Sorry if this has already been answered.]

I have a DigiTech Deathmetal distortion and a new Behringer Graphic EQ pedal. I would like to know what's the best way to set these up. My main goal is to have the EQ pedal switch on during the solos to give me a little extra boost (something with the mids high and a little extra 'level' to cut through).

What do you think? Thanks in advance

[Manti]
http://www.soundclick.com/Manti

(@tkn_dk)
Trusted Member

I think the most common position for an EQ is at the end of the pedal chain (i.e. last pedal before the amp, coming from guitar). But for your purpose you may want it some place else. Just play around with your sound till you get what you're looking for. :)

Also, I should say that I own no pedals of my own, so I don't have any hands-on experience, just second hand knowledge picked up in various places.

All I want is food and creative love.

ReplyQuote
(@afterblast)
Estimable Member

I have a hot head and one of those behringer eq's. as tkn_dn says you want to set the eq at the end of your affects chain, from prsonal experience this is because if you put the eq before the distortion pedal, then the balance is changed by the distortion. one thing I recomend is to set the volume outputs on the pedals to a relatively low setting, and then compensate for the volume drop by turning up the amp, I do this to save batteries, (mainly because I am broke.) but the best advice really is to try it yourself. mess around with your pedals and try different arrangements.

wherever you go, there you are.

ReplyQuote
(@prndl)
Reputable Member

The EQ can be used either as a clean boost before a tube amp or distortion pedal, or to shape the tone after the distortion pedal.

Most use an EQ to scoop out the mids for a heavy metal distortion sound.

Another use is to "fatten" the sound of your guitar, which is often done with single coils. In this case, you push the bass and low mids up.

You can also use the EQ before a distortion for lead tones. You set it up for mild distortion with the EQ off, and full distortion with it on.

I think these are a bit harder with the DeathMetal pedal, since it's meant for heavy metal. In most cases, these are for the Yellow colored pedals (Boss ODs, Ibanez TS808, etc).

You find a sweet spot on the distortion pedal where it just begins to break up for rhythm. Kicking in the EQ/boost pushes the distortion into full. That's the basic idea of the Fulltone Fulldrive and Jeckyl & Hyde type pedals.

You can do the same thing with a tube amp. You set the volume so that the neck puckups are clean and the humbuckers distort.

1 watt of pure tube tone - the Living Room Amp!
http://www.naturdoctor.com/Chapters/Amps/LivingRoomAmp.html
Paper-in-oil caps rule!

ReplyQuote
(@manti)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

ic, thanks a lot for the advice.

well after all, i just have to go to the garage next practice and play around a bit with all the possibilities you mentioned ;)

Thanks again

[Manti]
http://www.soundclick.com/Manti

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

manti

You are trying to do two seperate things with your eq. And it can be done. When you set an eq with the sliders in the middle this is called flat. It is neither cutting or boosting any particular frequencies.

The sliders on an eq are really nothing more than volume controls for the certain frequencies. If you understand that, you understand an eq.

And most eq's have a master volume as well. And when this is set in the middle, it is neither cutting or boosting your signal as well.

So, if you simply want a boost, set all frequencies flat in the middle, but push your master volume up. Then when you step on the eq you will get a volume boost without changing your tone.

But, if you want the tone shaped as well, experiment with the settings to get the desired tone, and push the master volume up as well.

You can only boost so much though. You will get distortions.

Try isolating certain frequencies. You can really get tight tones that cut this way. Push up a certain frequency and cut surrounding frequencies.

If you really want your lead to cut through, then push up your mids. Mids cut through.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote