Notifications
Clear all

Equalizer choices

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@knightman)
Topic starter  

I am trying to put together a PA rack system for our band and am trying to decide on an equalizer. Which of the 1/3 octave or 2/3 octave is a better choice? and does it really matter if it has XLR connections?

Thanks for your input.

Rodney

(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Hi Rodney;

Ah yes, when is enough enough?

The real question is whether you are using the EQ to optimize the speakers for the room, or for feedback control. If you're trying to control feedback, then narrower is better. Otherwise, 2/3 is probably OK (and cheaper).

As for XLRs, they are great (required!) when making long runs, but if the rack is going to be near the amps, then 1/4" is usually OK (and cheaper).

If you're looking for a long term investment, then better is best. If money is tight, then I'd save it where I could.

-Laz

ReplyQuote
(@knightman)
Topic starter  

Yeah, the EQ will be in the same rack as the amp. I guess another ? I have is whether to get a dual channel or single. We are not usually wired for stereo so I wonder what the advantage would be? Thanks for the help Laz.
Rodney

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

A duel 31 band is good. This would allow you to EQ the mains and monitors seperately.

The problem with a 15 or 9 band EQ is that they cut a wide range of frequencies, whereas a 31 band allows you to home in on the specific frequency causing feedback without cutting frequencies around it.

I am surprised you are running your PA in stereo. Why?

The problem with running a PA in stereo live is this. People on one side of the room will hear the music, while people on the other side will hear nothing at all. Most soundpeople will tell you to run a PA mono so everyone hears all the music at all times.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote