Notifications
Clear all

EVM12L Black in a 1x12 at low wattage?

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@butlerchris21)
Topic starter  

So I've recently had a Carvin V3M fall into my lap! Yay me! So I've been looking into putting together a cabinet to go with it. I've heard good things about Lopoline cabs, and Ive found an extended cab (1x12) that I like and am pretty much sold on it. So my question has to do with the speaker.
I've been looking at the EVM-12L Black Label. Now I know the amp has a watt selector (7-15-50), and will not require anything close to a 300 watt speaker, but I don't mind spending the cash and I would like the option of being able to plug a bigger head in if I wanted to, and MOST IMPORTANTLY, I want a speaker that's going to make the 1x12 cab rock to it's full potential. And, not to mention, who wouldn't want that big bad ass speaker? I've heard great reviews on it especially on its clarity and its wide frequency range
Now here are my questions;
1-With the sensitivity at 100db, it should still perform well whether the amp is set at 7, 15, or 50 watts, correct? I do play out at smaller gigs so 50 watts is plenty and I know the 12 L will do fine at 50, but I want to be able to play at bedroom level and still get the breakup from the amp. So the 7 watt setting will be more applicable for bedroom level. I've heard that some cool tones have been achieved with strange combinations (i.e. high watt speakers with low watt amps), but I want to make sure that the 12L will still have the chunk, definition, and that big feel an its lower power levels too.
2-Would you go with a 16 or 8ohm speaker and why?
3- The whole reason I went with a 1x12 cab, is because I kinda wanted to downsize a little, but I wanna keep a big sound. When I say Big sound, I don't necessarily mean loud, so how do you think the 12L will sound in a 1x12? I know they are traditionally put into bigger cabs. I'm thinking it will make that little cab boom when I need it to.
4- speaking of downsizing, why do I want a giant 20 lb speaker to lug in the cab, when i can get one of these 4lb neodymium speakers? I've heard good things about them, and the fad is growing. Has anyone played around with those? If so, can I get some thoughts on them? maybe a comparison with the 12L under my circumstances. And do you think that any of the neo speakers would hold up to my somewhat unrealistic needs and expectations? Anything that will? Keep in mind I want a speaker that doesn't break up... the V3M has enough chunk.

Well there it is. Maybe it's a crazy idea, but I would appreciate some feedback either way. Thanks everyone!!

(@ezraplaysezra)
Honorable Member

I have found you don't know what a speaker is going to sound like until you plug them in and play them for a year. I tend to BECOME happy with what I use more than find what I think I'm looking for. I currently run 25 watt'rs that I love and my two main amps run 100W-50W-25W (a carvin and a marshall and I never use 100 watts) I'm a clean(ish) with punchy mid-range kind of guy. But honestly anyone who does a lot of recording can tell you that the four speakers in a 4x12 cab can have a dramatic individual response differences.
If I were you I'd copy your post to an email and contact Warehouse Guitar's or just ring them up. They WILL get you in the right direction. WGS4.com - Is it me or do I tend to send people off to a lot of links? I should be getting paid for this. Seriously though, I do a lot of purchasing and a lot of researching so I feel my expertise is locating expertise.
a quick unpaid plug for WGS - I switched from celestion G12m's to wgs green berets about two years ago - I paid as much as $169 for greenbacks and I have paid as little as $50 ea. for 4 green berets and they are better sounding to me (maybe in appreciation of the price!) but they are noticeably more consistent. If you are purchasing speakers anytime soon - check them out. They have a forum that I haven't visited but hear it is a very good resource as well.

ReplyQuote