Clear all

Extention Cab

9 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@h3ndrix)
Topic starter  

http://www.music123.com/Peavey-TransTube-R--Studio-Pro-R--II-i25267.music

this amp is 65 watts and it has an external speaker jack.. that means you can hook it up to a cab right?
so if you would hook it up to a cab would the wattage increase? or does it not really make that big of a difference?

(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

The wattage won't change, that's fixed by the amp, but the LOUDNESS might. This would depend on the speaker choice. More or larger speakers will move more air and typically sound louder. More efficient speakers will definitely sound louder.

ReplyQuote
(@h3ndrix)
Topic starter  

so if i hooked it up to a peavy xxx cab it would sound like 100 watts?

ReplyQuote
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

The amp would still only be capable of delivering 65 watts. In simplest teerms, that being the limit of my understanding of things electric, the wattage rating on the cab refers to how much wattage it will take before it blows.
So, a cab rated at 100 watts with efficient speakers would sound louder than a cab rated at 100 watts with less efficient speakers. But a cab rated at 70 watts with efficient speakers would sound louder than a cab rated at 100 watts with low efficiency speakers. A 65 watt amp will probably sound slightly less loud than a 100 watt amp through the same cab.
A cab with 2 or 4 12" speakers will be louder than the 1 12" speaker in the combo. Whether it is twice as loud will depend on a number of other factors.
Speakers with higher wattage rating can often be turned up louder before they distort, which can help if you are looking for less coloration of the sound from speaker distortion.
If you just want it all to be louder, you have to compare sensitivity and efficiency.
I'll stop now, because I'm getting in way over my head.

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Just a side note, that is a loud amp, and may not need a extension cabinet. My school has one, and use it with when playing with drums, bass, and other guitar, and it definatly holds it own.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@steveobouttorock)
Estimable Member

you can never be loud enough, i have a crate 120 watt that i'm getting a cabinet for

be good at what you can do-

ReplyQuote
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

If you're playing through a solid state amp, like the Crate, it's kind of true that you can never be loud enough, because the amp is generally going to sound worse as it is turned up.
However, if you're playing a tube amp, it's important to match the volume (size and number of speakers and wattage) to the room and the sound you are going for. You can get ear bleeding glorious distortion or lush overdrive filling a club with a 12, 15, or 20 watter, maybe even 30 watts (though I wouldn't want to be in the front row), while a 100 watter will sound flat or at least shiny clean.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

h3NdRiX (Man, that's hard to write)

Watts are related to volume, but not as much as you would think.

Volume is measured in decibels (dB). Every 12dB is considered a doubling in volume (twice as loud).

Every time you double the wattage going to a speaker, you get a 3dB increase in volume. This is a small, but noticeable increase.

So a 100 watt amplifier is only 3 decibels louder than a 50 watt amplifier powering the same speaker. In fact, it would take about a 500 watt amplifier to be twice as loud as a 50 watt amp.

When you pair two similar speakers together you get a 3dB increase in volume. But you note I said "similar". Two mismatched speakers can actually cause a cancelling of some frequencies and be less loud! :shock:

Speakers share the wattage. If you have one speaker running off that Peavey amp it will get 65 watts. Add a speaker and they will share, each speaker getting about 32.5 watts.

Now, to the case at hand. First of all, you want to get the proper extension cabinet. On the back of your amp it will tell the Ohms that the extension speaker should be. If it says 8 ohms, you want to get an 8 Ohm speaker. It may say 4 Ohms. With that you could use a 4 Ohm or 8 Ohm speaker. What is important is not to go UNDER this number. If it says 8 Ohms only, and you hook up a 4 Ohm speaker it could fry the amp.

On the other hand, if it says 4 Ohms, and you hook up an 8 Ohm speaker, this will not blow the amp. But the amp will not work as efficiently as it was intended. This speaker will not be as loud.

Ohms is a measurement of resistance. It is resistance to current flow. If the resistance is too low, too much current will run through your amp and could fry it quick. If the resistance is too high, it will work, but it is kind of like driving your car with your foot on the brake pedal. So make sure to get the proper speaker with the correct Ohm rating.

As someone said, you will get a volume increase because you are pushing more air around. But it will not be twice as loud. But it will sound full.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

Wes said: "On the other hand, if it says 4 Ohms, and you hook up an 8 Ohm speaker, this will not blow the amp. But the amp will not work as efficiently as it was intended. This speaker will not be as loud. "

Can you use this as a cheap attenuator, then?

ReplyQuote