Skip to content

Forum

f hole feedback?! h...

Notifications
Clear all

f hole feedback?! help.

(@jackofallboxes)
Topic starter  

hey. i have a epiphone dot studio, and when my band is playing and my amp is turned up, on my distorted channel, i get terrible feedback. ew. i want to put somthing in the f holes, to help eliminate this problem, but im not sure what i should use, or if the sell some type of cover. foam? wood? im lost.

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Duck tape?

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

hey. i have a epiphone dot studio, and when my band is playing and my amp is turned up, on my distorted channel, i get terrible feedback. ew. i want to put somthing in the f holes, to help eliminate this problem, but im not sure what i should use, or if the sell some type of cover. foam? wood? im lost.

B.B. King used to stuff his 335 with towels to reduce the feedback. Your other options are:

1) move away from the amp.
2) reduce the gain on your distortion channel
3) reduce the volume.

You may need to use more than one (or all) of these . . .

You can learn to control the feedback by making note of where the positions on stage, and distance from the amp that certain notes will feed back. Ted Nugent uses this with his Gibson Bluesbird, and spends part of his sound check marking the spots on stage with tape. Feedback can be a useful tool once you bring it under control.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Your biggest problem is using the high gain distortion channel in a loud stage environment. The semihollow picks up more of the ambient sound than a solid body, though it's way better than a hollowbody. Turn down the gain or use the clean channel and you'll have a better time. As for B.B. King, his recent "Lucilles" haven't had any F-holes at all.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Ted Nugent uses this with his Gibson Bluesbird, and spends part of his sound check marking the spots on stage with tape. Feedback can be a useful tool once you bring it under control.
And he is a master! I have seen him live several times and in an intimate venue and he never fails to amaze me with his control of the feedback.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote