Clear all

Fender Blues Junior

11 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@sournote)
Topic starter  

Hello Everyone,

I am in the market for a new amp and I was wondering in anyone here had any thoughts or opinions on the Fender blues Jr.
I currenty am using a crate GT-80 1x12 (which I hate). I play a fender american standard strat with stock pick-ups. I'm into mostly blues and classic rock,also some new stuff (think Black Keys). If anyone has anything good bad or whatever about this amp please let me know. Any input is greatly appreciated.

- Jerry

(@kblake)
Reputable Member

Hey Jerry,

From Harmony Central

Most people that have them seem happy, its going to be my first tube amp I just have to convince the wife I NEED it :D

Features 7.5 (464 responses)
Sound Quality 8.6 (496 responses)
Reliability 8.4 (348 responses)
Customer Support 7.4 (130 responses)
Overall Rating 8.7 (472 responses)

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar+Amp/product/Fender/Blues+Junior/10/1

Keith

I know a little bit about a lot of things, but not a lot about anything...
Looking for people to jam with in Sydney Oz.......

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

I briefly tried one in GC, but that one started feeding back any time I tried to use the reverb. Must have had something wrong with that particular one..

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
(@dhutson)
Estimable Member

I have an FBJ and I love it. I don't know if you are going to use this amp to gig or for home use, but it can get pretty loud! Mine is used at home through an attenuator so I can push the tubes while maintaining reasonable volume levels. This is not a heavy metal amp by any stretch of the imagination, but if you want good tube tone for a reasonable outlay of cash, this is your baby.

http://www.soundclick.com/wayneroberts

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

My personal opinion: they are great amps. If you are into blues/classic rock, so mostly use lightly overdriven sounds this amps should do all you need. Throw a booster in front of it, get an attenuator and enjoy all the sounds you want without starting WorldWar3 in your neighbourhood. :)

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

OT: I love The Black Keys!

You're going to have to crank that thing all the way up to get that tone. Better look at attenuators. :lol:

If you like The Black Keys, go over to http://fatpossum.com/ and check out Junior Kimbrough. Much of The Black Keys' music is inspired by Junior's.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@sournote)
Topic starter  

Thanks for all the replies guys! I have a couple of questions though since I really don't know all that much about amps/effects. What is an attenuator? And second is for Arjen when you say throw a booster in front of it are you talking about an overdrive pedal or something else?

Ricochet: Thanks for the link. I can't believe I've never heard any of Kimbrough's music awesome. The Black keys rock seeing them in columbus next month, Should be a great time.

Again thanks to everyone who took a moment to give me some insight.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Attenuators are devices that soak up much of the power output of your amp so you can blast it wide open when you want that sound, without the expected high volume that's not always appropriate.

Mind you, I'm not one of the players who's always got to have "power tube distortion." Most of the time, I just turn the volume down and have fun. But sometimes it's just cool to hear a wide open amp, and for me most of the time, I'm going to get myself in trouble if I crank it.

Booster? Yeah, Arjen means an overdrive.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I understand where you're coming from, SporT ToXin/Neztok, but what I said in that message above is that it'd take playing wide open (and likely using an attenuator) to get a tone like the Black Keys guitarist uses. That's just a plain old wide open amp.

You'll note that below that I also said I usually just turn down the volume and play happily. I haven't changed my views.

I don't own an attenuator and don't need one. I did build a power soak with line-out for a friend a while back, so he could crank his goshawful overpowered 100W Marshall wide open, then run its distorted output through another, less powerful amp. Sounded good, too.
:D

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

:lol:

Little secret: Sometimes everybody's gone, and I like to just crank it up and let it rip. I do that with the Hammond, too. Neighbors haven't called the cops on me yet.

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

I like my Epi Valve Standard more than my neighbors pro junior by far. Its a better value, and has a tone I personally prefer over the two.

By booster he may mean the Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster. Its a pedal that boosts your pickups signal without adding any distortion. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seymour-Duncan-SFX01-Pickup-Booster-Effects-Pedal?sku=150710

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote