Clear all

Fender Hot Rod Delux mods

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@leear)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Ok so I have HRD it's ok I want an AC30 but because of money my GAS will have to wait. So I'm looking at modifying my HRD. basically speaker replacement. My friend put a 300 EV in his and likes it, I'm looking at one of those, or I have heard of speakers they call a patriot or rajun cajun, now celestion makes the "celestion blues and the greenback" I'm leaning toward the greenback personally. I play southern rock, country, christian rock,.. In a few words, I'm a country player who likes his tone and some OD. I play an american strat and a semi american tele (it's parted out american guts, warmoth neck squire body)

I'm looking for opinions, also I currently have the blue groove tubes, but looking into a pair or Rubys or Electro harmonix. Tubes not as important decision I can make that decision what do you suggest?

No matter where you go.... There You are! Law of Location

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

The Greenback is a great speaker, I don't think you can go wrong there.

I put a Celestion G12T-75 in my HRD, still in there. This is the speaker Marshall puts in it's cabs. I like it better than the original Eminence 125, it can handle bass better, tighter and doesn't fart (sorry for the term). It has a lot of highs, not so much mids, gives that mid-scoop flavor. But trust me, doesn't make it sound like a Marshall although I can get that tone with pedals.

Hey, go for it. I put the Eminence 125 in a Loppo 1 X 12 cab and use it with my Epi Valve Jr head. The Eminence sounds really great with the Epi amp, I've tried several speakers and it's my favorite.

Tubes do make a subtle difference. I put JJs in mine, took out a little harshness, also made the Drive channels tighter.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

I want an AC30

Celestion Blue is the classic AC30 speaker, or the less expensive Weber Blue Dog is a great alternative. The Eminence equivalent is the Red Fang.

Shootout: http://www.webervst.com/bt9908.htm

Also check out the excellent Avatar Hellatones; they are broken-in Celestions for less $.
http://www.avatarspeakers.com/hellatone.htm

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I can tell you this about swapping a speaker in an HRD, it's not hard, but it's not that easy either. First, you have to pull all your tubes. Of course you take the long screws on the sides and top, I think it's eight screws if I remember.

Now the hard part. The head is a very tight fit. If you try to tug the head out it will probaby rip the sheilding tape on the sides of the cabinet. At least that is what happened to me. If you have some sort of expanding bar that can spread the sides of the cab a little, then the head will come out easily.

Very important, you don't need to take the head completely out to get the speaker out. But you do need to pull it out about half-way or angle it. Just move the head enough so the speaker can come out and nothing more. The speaker is easy, just four screws, although I remember having a little difficulty pulling the terminals off of the speaker tab connectors. Probably best to pull the speaker out with the speaker cable still attached and pull the terminals off once you've got it out.

Anyway, don't pull the head completely out, the fit is tight and it's difficult to get it back in. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@leear)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I'll probably cheat and take it to my friend at the local music store where I order the speaker and just have them put it in. That way if it breaks they cover it.

No matter where you go.... There You are! Law of Location

ReplyQuote