Clear all

fender pro 185 problem

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@cantankerousd)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Howdy! I have a fender pro 185 that just recently started developing problems.
at random times, the volume goes all the way down and then slowly returns to normal.
At first I thought it might be in my signal chain, so I tried a different guitar, same problem.
I also plugged straight into the amp (no pedals) same thing.
I will try to take it apart and spray the pots with contact cleaner.
has anyone ever experienced any similar problems? if so, should I just take it to the shop, or am I looking in the right direction?
Thanx to all

You don't have to firebomb dresden to prove you can fly a plane.-Warren Zevon

(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

160 watts RMS of brutal solid state power into 2 Fender 12" special designed speakers. That's enough to cause some trouble!

Yet, all reviews on Harmony Central are good, as read by me now. But age may work against you, as these red knob amps are late 80's to early 90's and yours might have had a workout? I have a Super 60 of this generation.

I have a hunch that age and power/useage could affect the coil in at least one speaker, and similarly effect both, if wired in parallel. Try the amp's output to another cab or speaker, if you can find anything with the the same ohmage and power handling, whew, good luck. If that works, change a speaker or two.

If the symptoms are the same, you have a problem either in the chassis, which is likely as well, or rarely in a shorting power supply. Don't touch these things with any power on, though I'm not not suggesting that they store power while off, like tube or all valve amps. Still, I'd be afraid that a capacitor inside could be holding a great charge, and shock you. :shock: So, maybe an amp tech then?

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote