Clear all

Fender Vibro or Super Champ XD Amps

13 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@kcfenderfan)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Has anyone tried either of these? I have a VOX AD30VT right now, but I just don't need or use all of the effects. I am thinking about selling the VOX and getting a Fender amp. This would probably be after Christmas.

Thanks,
Jim-Bone

(@kevinbatchelor77)
Trusted Member

I'll let you know what I think after Christmas. My wife has me one under the tree :)

ReplyQuote
(@kcfenderfan)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Cool, thanks Kevin.

Jim-Bone

ReplyQuote
(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member

I'll let you know what I think after Christmas. My wife has me one under the tree :)

Do you know which one you're getting?

Also, did you choose your Forum Name before or after you got married? :D

"There won't be any money. But when you die, on your death bed, you will receive total conciousness. So, I got that going for me. Which is nice." - Bill Murray, Caddyshack ~~ Michigan Music Dojo - http://michiganmusicdojo.com ~~

ReplyQuote
(@kevinbatchelor77)
Trusted Member

I'm getting the Super Champ XD 15watt.

ReplyQuote
(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member

I'm getting the Super Champ XD 15watt.

Very nice... only TWO more days!!! :D

"There won't be any money. But when you die, on your death bed, you will receive total conciousness. So, I got that going for me. Which is nice." - Bill Murray, Caddyshack ~~ Michigan Music Dojo - http://michiganmusicdojo.com ~~

ReplyQuote
(@kevinbatchelor77)
Trusted Member

Alright guys, I am very pleased with this amp. We opened gifts on Christmas eve and afterwards I jammed for an hour and half just tweaking the settings to see what sounds I could crank out. This amp puts out some great vintage sounds. The amp has a great Blackface sound. The clean and slightly overdriven are great. There is a jazz voicing that also has a great sound. I actually prefer this clean sound over the Blackface clean sound. The jazz clean is very nice with the Fender spring reverb set on 3. In my opinion, the British settings are the best overdriven voicings. The Hot Rod settings are very good also. To me the Hot Rod settings have a real 80's rock-n-roll feel. If your into Metal there is one good setting. I like the first metal setting. I played a little Crazy Train on the first metal setting and it sounded great. The second metal setting was a little too much for me. The effects are OK. I really like all of the reverb effects. I will use the reverb more than any of the others. The tremelo effect and the chorus are just OK. I did not care to much for the delay.

One thing I left out is that voicing 16 (accoustic) is not that good. Overall if I were rating this amp on a scale from 1 - 10, I would give it a 9 because for $300 I don't believe you can do any better. Its really a great little amp and for $150 less than the Blues Jr. it definetly gives it a run for the money. If anyone is thinking about a Blues Jr. (as great as they are) check this out first you might save yourself some money for an amp that sounds just as good.

ReplyQuote
(@kcfenderfan)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the great review, kevin. Still undecided what to do, but will definitely keep all of this in mind.

Jim-Bone

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Kevin

This past week I have been down in N.C. visiting the family for the holidays. My younger brother always asks me to bring an amp and guitar so we can jam, we both started playing about the same time.

Over the years I have told my brother he should get a good tube amp. He always insisted he liked solid states better, not really sure why.

Anyway..... This past week I jammed with him several times with my SG and Blues Jr.. He uses a Squier Tele (actually a very nice guitar) and an old Peavey solid state (not sure of model). We played lots of songs and had lots of fun. As we played I could see my brother taking a big interest in my amp, he asked me several questions about it. Then, at one time he made the remark, "I always thought my amp sounded very good until I heard yours." I laughed and let him play through it awhile. I could tell he was getting hooked.

Yesterday my brother calls me and says I have to come over (staying at my Mom's house) and jam tonight, he got a new amp. Turns out he got a $250 gift certificate at his local music store from his kids. He went down and got the Super Champ XD 15 watter you got. :D

I went over last night and got to play it for awhile. It is really a great amp, super flexibility. I liked that you can get great clean tones, good Marshall-like overdrive, and even some pretty hard-core Metal tones. And all with a full, warm, tube tone. :twisted:

And the effects are pretty good too, I especially liked the Vibro effect. But the Tremelo, Delay, Reverbs, and Chorus, and Phase were good too. This is not a modeling amp at all, but it gives you lots of great basic tones.

One thing I especially liked about this amp is that the volume does not come on too quickly like most Fender amps. With other Fender's it can be difficult to play at bedroom volume. So glad to see they finally saw this. But this amp has plenty of power to gig with, and the 10" speaker sounds pretty big.

So, I would recommend this amp to anybody, it is hard to beat at this price.

I am going over tonight to jam again with my brother, gotta head back home tomorrow. :D

Wes

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@kevinbatchelor77)
Trusted Member

Wes,

I'm definitely pleased with this amp. It blows my solid state Marshall out of the water! Love the clean tones and the British setting are great.

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

I've been reading up on these and they would seem to be nice, either one, but I'd prefer the two channel 15w amp. Those being tube amps, they should sound more warm than a Marshall solid state. I have a solid state Marshall and it is brittle sounding.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

This is not a modeling amp at all, but it gives you lots of great basic tones.

This is a modeling amp, they just labeled the knob differently.

ReplyQuote
(@kevinbatchelor77)
Trusted Member

It is a modelling amp with real tubes though. You can call it what you want but it sounds good!

ReplyQuote