Clear all

Fender vs Marshall 15G amps...help

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@reivax)
Topic starter  

???

I am selling my Fender Squier Champ15G amp.... it was a nice practice amp but cant reproduce the sound I want...not even in a closed room. I am selling it at 60 dollars.. :(...BUT I was thinking on buying a MGCD15 Marshall.

I have no more than 150 dollars so I thought this would solve my problem... some people suggest I dont sell my old amp for the Marshall. I´m an intermediate player, LOVE THE BLUES... got a Zoom GFX 707 and a Jimi Hendrix Fuzz wah.... WHAT TO DO???

Is there any good amp better than the small marshall? I would like some tubes amp, but I cant afford it. HELP PLEASE.

thx

"The road to excess leads to the palace of wisdom." (W.Blake). "Excess playing will take u further..."

<< Reivax >>

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

If you are happy with the clean sound of the Fender, then I would suggest that you invest in a tube preamp or maybe a tube pedal - there are plenty on the market, in your price bracket.
In fact, you can usually find a good one on ebay for around $100.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Behringer GM110 Vintager, $100

30W, analogue modeling, 10"speaker, effects loop, DI, headphones etc. For $150 you've got the GMX110, with onboard effects units (pretty useless since you already have a MFX unit).

ReplyQuote
(@reivax)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the advice people !

The Behringer is a nice amp, the one u mention, but I know for a few friends that if u do not plug the amp into a good power supply... with no current control I mean, then it can be damaged permanently without option of repair. That scares me a bit. But yes, that would be a good choice...thx promedics...

I am thinking in a Valvestate. I hope I can find one soon.

Any other suggestions I would like to hear  ;D

"The road to excess leads to the palace of wisdom." (W.Blake). "Excess playing will take u further..."

<< Reivax >>

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

but I know for a few friends that if u do not plug the amp into a good power supply... with no current control I mean, then it can be damaged permanently without option of repair.

I am not quite sure what you mean, but in Holland all major brands include a power supply specifically designed for that amp. Don't know if this is normal in every country, but I doubt Behringer would ship amps without a proper power supply.

Anyway, what are your specific demands? For example, the tiny Micro Cube has REALLY great tone. Only 2W, but that is still way more then enough for bedroom practice. I myself am not really impressed with Valvestate. Simply don't hear much of that tube, might just as well be completely solid state.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

On Harmony-central there do seem to be some people with GM110's that stopped working, but I also read that some found that the fuse had simply blown and needed replacing (probably for a few cents).  These fuses might be blowing due to poorly regulated house voltage, but the fuse seems to be protecting the amp from permanent damage.  Maybe your friends know more.
    By the way, I read that the GMX110 amps have been having a noise problem on some settings (in overdrive, I think).  There is an indication that there might be a design fault.  So don't buy one without trying it out well first and with a return policy.

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Looks like the sound or tone your looking for you'll maybe need an all Tube amp. And then build from there.

joe

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I'd recommend the Vox Pathfinder 15 or 15R. It's the best sounding amp in it's price range I've ever heard.

Here's some links to some of my previous posts on this amp:

http://forums.guitarnoise.com/?board=amps;action=display;num=1078744947;start=4#4

http://forums.guitarnoise.com/?board=guitar;action=display;num=1073616837;start=12#12

ReplyQuote