Clear all

First gig, no monitors.

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@elpantalla)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Hey, I am going to do a stupid battle of the bands thing at my school in a couple weeks. And I'm worried cause there no monitors. I don't wanna sing like crap.

Anything I can do?

One chord is fine.
Two you're pushing it.
Three and you're into jazz.

(@leear)
Honorable Member

Tell an administrator that for ANYONE to be able to perform correctly they need to provide monitors for them. If they don't believe you find a local soundman and have them talk to him/her. This way you may also get your local soundman a gig and he'll like you and make you sound fantastic. LOL!!!.

Depending on the stage setup ask if you can position one main speakers behind you a bit just enough to hear but not enough to create feedback (this may be hard to do school gyms are notorious for bad sound) If you in an auditorium refer back to number one.

Other than that schools are hard to work with I run sound for a local shcool once a week atleast in their auditorium and believe me its hard to get school officials to lean one way or the other. I tell them I need more microphones they should buy them they say its been working so far. (they doht' know i bring some from home) I'll start charging them for it one day. I suggest tip #1 do it in a nice manner. You may be able to swap soundman for band and/or choir director sometimes.

No matter where you go.... There You are! Law of Location

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

You can also turn one Main so that it is very slightly facing the band but still broadcasting to the audience. I have used this technique many times and it works well. We would put the Main out front of the band and turn it around about 2/3rds. It wasn't directly facing the band but you could hear it well. Position the other Main to cover the audience as best as possible.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

You can also turn one Main so that it is very slightly facing the band but still broadcasting to the audience. I have used this technique many times and it works well. We would put the Main out front of the band and turn it around about 2/3rds. It wasn't directly facing the band but you could hear it well. Position the other Main to cover the audience as best as possible.

Yup yup, I've done that too, especially in smaller spaces where more speakers and volume are not desirable.

ReplyQuote