Clear all

Fun project: Fender Pro Jr. in need of a "good" 10

15 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@corbind)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I have a two Fender HRDs but I'm tired of lugging the big amps to practice so I decided to go small. I bought a new Fender Blues Jr. and will take the "amp" out of it and put it in this gorgeous cab:

http://doctorhardwood.com/BookMatched2.htm

I'm a total sucker for nice woodwork because I'm into finish carpentry as a hobby. I'd like to put the "best" speaker in it since I want this amp to not be just for show but sound good. I use a Tonelab SE multi effects processor most of the time running into amps. I don't need breakup/distortion but just a nice tube (as opposed to digital) feel with my multi effects box. Still, I'm hoping to get some suggestions on what 10" speaker to put into it?

Do any of you have suggestions? Also, if you post can you tell me why you suggest such a speaker? I'm looking forward to having a small travel amp and I may even use it at gigs since I have to buy a mic/cable/stand in the next couple of weeks for the next gig. I appreciate any responses! :D

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Being I like Celestions there for I'll recomend them. I have a couple small amps I use 10" celestions in. You might take a look at these for a small tube amp Sombrabella.com. I have one their impressive.

joe

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

If you can get your hands on an old Gibson 4x10" column speaker, the speakers inside are the same kind that used to come in old super reverb's. They were made by a company named "oxford". I have 2, and they sound awesome. Plus, if you can find them, the columns are cheap!

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Funny, I just went over to my other post about speakers for my HRD and Joe and Wes recommend Celestions. For this Pro Junior I don't need distortion until it's cranked really loud. I'm hoping to have a speaker that's pretty clean, decent headroom, and puts out some "tube" feel. I'll get the overdrive/distortion from my effects floorboard.

With that in mind, any suggestions on a specific Celestion?

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Celestion-G10-Vintage-Guitar-Speaker?sku=660276

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Celestion-Tube-10-Guitar-Speaker?sku=660287

There arn't to many 10" celestions that I know of but those 2 are supposed to be nice.

I like Jensens a lot as well

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jensen-C10R-25W-10-Replacement-Speaker?sku=665003

If I were you I would put in these-
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jensen-P10R-25-Watt-10-Replacement-Speaker?sku=665011

Alcino Magnets sound nice.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Well, I looked at all 4 speakers. There is quite a difference in price & magnet weight. The Celestion G10's are $85 and have a 31 ounce magnet. The Celestion Tube 10 is $40 with a magnet about half the weight. The Jencen C10R is $40 with a 9.5 ounce magnet. The P10R is $80 with a little 7 ounce magnet. The Celestion's boast of a special rock tone.

I'm still wondering what would sound good for say 70's rock. As I said before, most of my sound is coming from my multieffects processor but I want a "nice" speaker. Any more advice on what to get and/or what it sounds like? I've had that nice new Canadian maple cab in my living room for weeks just waiting to get a speaker. :roll:

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Dennis

I'd go with the Celestion 10 or the even never G10 Vintage .

Celestion G10 Vintage

This speaker is new, so there aren't too many reviews out yet, but I did find two on Harmony Central.

Harmony Central- Celestion G10 Vintage Reviews

From talking to you in the past, I believe you are looking for a Rock tone. The Pro Junior has always been known to sound more like a Marshall than Fender. This new speaker is said to sound very similar to the Celestion Vintage 30 (12" speaker). The Vintage 30 is one of the most popular speakers ever, especially in Rock. Slash from Guns and Roses used V30's in his Marshall cabs replacing the standard G12T-75.

The G10 Vintage is rated 60 watts, so you should really be able to push your Pro Jr. (15 watts) quite a bit without breakup as well. You should get plenty of clean, undistorted volume.

Just my 2 cents. But if you are looking for Rock tone, this looks like a great speaker for your Pro Jr. to me.

Ah, here it is at MF.

Celestion G10 Vintage Speaker

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Nice work as always Wes. Hey, it's a 60W speaker but the Pro Junior puts out only 15W. Didn't I read something you put up awhile back that said you can do more damage having a speaker overrated for the amp rather than the amp having more watts than the speaker?

If the 60W will work and not kill the amp, I may just buy it and be done with my quest. Can't wait to put it all together and rock. It'll be nice for a travel amp, too.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Dennis

I talk so much it's hard to remember everything I say. :roll:

A speaker's power rating tells you how much power a speaker can handle. But amps can actually put out much more power on peaks. Your Pro Jr might produce 30 or even 50 watts on peaks. So it is usually recommended that you get a speaker with a power rating at least double what your amp produces. A 60 watt speaker should be fine for a 15 watt amp.

On the other hand, some players WANT a speaker to overdrive and distort, especially Blues players. So they might choose a 25 or 30 watt speaker for this amp. When the amp is pushed the speakers will begin to naturally distort, and this is what they are after.

And some players purposely choose speakers rated far higher than necessary to get the most clean volume without speaker distortion. I read an article by Zakk Wylde, he loads his 4 X 12 cabs with EV speakers rated 200 watts each! That is a handling power of 800 watts total. His Marshall amp is only 100 watts. But Zakk plays very heavy guitar with lots of low end bass. He wants his speakers to produce very "tight" distortion at high volume levels. So he uses speakers than can handle tons of power and bass without distorting or mushing out.

And this pertains more to PA speakers than guitar speakers, but you can use a speaker rated only 10 watts handling power with a 1000 watt amp as long as you keep the volume very low.

And... you can blow a speaker rated 200 watts with a 10 watt amp if you push the amp into clipping. The speaker will try to reproduce these clipped signals. This is probably the #1 way people blow PA speakers. Guitar speakers are designed to distort on purpose and are not so subject to being blown by clipping.

The difference between speakers rated low handling power and high handling power is better materials and construction. High rated speakers are just plain built better and can handle far more power and movement.

But for sensible people who use their gear in a sensible way, a speaker rated double or more the power of the amp will last forever and sound great.

Hope I didn't cause confusion here.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I'm all for long descriptions. Thanks for helping me out. Every time I read long posts and links I learn quite a bit.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Here is some info on Speaker Power Handling from Eminence Speakers

Power handling This specification is very important to transducer selection. Obviously, you need to choose a loudspeaker that is capable of handling the input power you are going to provide. By the same token, you can destroy a loudspeaker by using too little power. The ideal situation is to choose a loudspeaker that has the capability of handling more power than you can provide lending some headroom and insurance against thermal failure. To use an automobile as an analogy; you would not buy a car that could only go 55mph if that were the speed you always intended to drive. Generally speaking, the number one contributor to a transducer's power rating is its ability to release thermal energy. This is affected by several design choices, but most notably voice coil size, magnet size, venting, and the adhesives used in voice coil construction. Larger coil and magnet sizes provide more area for heat to dissipate, while venting allows thermal energy to escape and cooler air to enter the motor structure. Equally important is the ability of the voice coil to handle thermal energy. Eminence is renowned for its use of proprietary adhesives and components that maximize the voice coil's ability to handle extreme temperatures. Mechanical factors must also be considered when determining power handling. A transducer might be able to handle 1,000W from a thermal perspective, but would fail long before that level was reached from a mechanical issue such as the coil hitting the back plate, the coil coming out of the gap, the cone buckling from too much outward movement, or the spider bottoming on the top plate. The most common cause of such a failure would be asking the speaker to produce more low frequencies than it could mechanically produce at the rated power. Be sure to consider the suggested usable frequency range and the Xlim parameter in conjunction with the power rating to avoid such failures. The Eminence power rating is derived using an EIA 426A noise source and test standard. All tests are conducted for eight hours in a free-air, non-temperature controlled environment. Eminence tests samples from each of three different production runs and each sample must pass a test exceeding the rated power by 50 to 100W. The Eminence music program is double that of our standard Watts rating.

The only thing I would disagree about with this article is saying you can blow a speaker with too little power. This is a misleading statement.

What I think they are really trying to say is this:

Let's say you are trying to use a very underpowered PA system at a large gig with a very loud crowd. Your PA only puts out 100 watts power. You have two speakers rated 350 watts handling power each. So these speakers should be able to handle 700 watts of power total.

The problem is the amp does not have enough power (cannot produce adequate volume) for the large venue or crowd. So the band cranks the PA amp to max in an attempt to get the vocals up loud. The red clip light on the amp comes on and stays on.

This amp is clipping. It is sending a distorted square wave to the speakers. The speakers are trying to reproduce these signals. The speakers blow.

So it is not that the speakers were rated too high for the amp. And it is not really a problem that the amp is only 100 watts. The problem was pushing this amp into clipping which damaged the speakers.

If you kept this amp out of clipping you could play this amp through these speakers all night long without damage.

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Well, unless anyone has any other opinions to add, I'll order the Celestion Wednesday. I'm open to input. I can't wait to put it all together for my little portable amp. If I get it all together by July 23rd I may actually gig with it that night. I'll bring my Fender HRD just in case.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Don't overlook the cheap stuff. I've got a 10" 70W Jensen MOD (about $30) in Pignose G40V, and it sounds mighty good to me.
:D

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

If you should see a Fane speaker, take a look. Fane were very popular (in Britain, anyway), particularly in HiFi circles and were fitted in some guitar tube amps. They're still producing good quality speakers - I have a 75W 12"er from them.
http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data/Fane/

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

This is killing me. I've been waiting like 3 weeks for my speaker to come in to Musiciansfriend.com so my speaker project has been on hold. Finally my new Pro Junior came in to Guitar Center a couple of days ago so I'll swap out the loaner the gave me for a new PJ.

ReplyQuote