Clear all

GAS Attack tonight

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Well, I've been considering a Fender Blues Jr. (the 15W version) for a while and tonight when I dropped my son off at work, I stopped in to the music store (Music & Arts) next door (a little too conveniently located). And there sits a Jr. Now, I really want the lacquer tweed version and this is the standard, but the price tag reads $399. At Guitar Center, it's $449 and $529 for the tweed. So I ask if they have or can get the tweed version, thinking I could save $50 on it. No dice. I left to think about it and ran to check Sam Ash, where the standard was $479. I think on it, worrying that I'll get it and regret not spending the xtra for the one I really want. I decide on the way to pick up my son from work that I'll buy it. This is only 3 hours later. I walk in and look and there's an open spot where my Jr. had been sitting. The guy I had talked to before was there and I asked him if he sold it. He said someone bought it about 10 minutes after I had left. Who would have thought some one else in Hendersonville, TN suddenly decided to buy a Blues Jr. on a Friday night?

The guy checked and they have 1, yes one, in their warehouse in Maryland. He put in a request that it be sent to the store, but he said it's possible it had already been requested elsewhere. If that's the case, they'll order me one. Best case scenario, I'll have mine in a few days. Worst case, I don't know how long it could be if they have to order one.

Bass player for Undercover

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

hey jwmartin, living in the music capital of the world I would think that music stores have amps going out the door like candy from a Pez dispenser.

so you are holding out for that tweed?

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@chaisewilson)
Trusted Member

i have the blues jr. its a amazing amp..........their really no tonal variety but it has an amazing blues sound when cranked......youl enjoy your new toy very very much!!!!

i got lucky and snagged mine at a pawn shop for $200

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

hey jwmartin, living in the music capital of the world I would think that music stores have amps going out the door like candy from a Pez dispenser.

:D It's true at the bigger stores like Sam Ash and GC. This is a pretty small store and it caters more to the marching/concert band crowd. I'd say 50% of the time I've spent in there, I was the only customer.

so you are holding out for that tweed?

Nah, they don't carry that model, so they would have to order it thru GC (they are owned by the same parent company). So I'd be looking at an xtra $129 for the tweed. I decided I'd get the standard 15W and if I really like it and if I actually start playing out somewhere, then I'll go for the tweed in the 40W version.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I'm not surprised a bit at that thing selling late Friday night. I'd think that would be a hot time for sales with musicians wandering in.

I think the tweed's cool, too, but I wouldn't pay $130 extra for it. I can live with black Tolex just fine. That's what's on the Valve Junior combo sitting beside me now, which didn't cost me $130 new.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I never got a call back from the music store, but I caught a Blues Jr. with blonde tolex on eBay for the same price. It just arrived at work and looks fantastic. I can't wait til 12:00 gets here so I can head home and plug this baby up. I'll post a pic when I get home.

ReplyQuote
(@daniel-lioneye)
Reputable Member

Glad your happy with it. How much did you pay for it?
Anyway, pics are always appreciated here at GN.

Guitars: Electric: Jackson DX10D, J. Reynolds Fat Strat copy
Acoustic: New York and a Jasmine.
Amps: Austin 15 watt, Fender Deluxe 112, Fender Champion 600 5w, 0ld 1970's Sears 500g.
Effects: Digitech Whammy, Big Muff Pi USA, MXR, Washburn Distortion.

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

With shipping it was $420 and after playing on it all weekend, it was worth every penny. It sounds amazing, is extremely versatile and is louder than I can imagine ever needing.

A few more pics here.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Yep, the Blues Jr. is a great sounding amp, especially for the very reasonable price tag. And the demand for these amps is very high, according to the owner of my local music store, the Hot Rod Deluxe is the top selling amp in the world and Blues Jr. is # 2.

Have fun! :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote