Clear all

Gibson Skylark?

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@jester)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I was browsing in a store recently, and they had an early-'60s Gibson Skylark amp for sale for somewhat under $300. This is a 10W tube amp with 1 x 10" speaker. I didn't have the chance to play it, but I'll be back, so in the meantime, does anyone have thoughts about this amp? $300 seems incredibly cheap for a vintage tube amp, so I don't know if the explanation is that (1) it sucks; or (2) it's great but for no obvious reason people just prefer Fender to Gibson amps. My impression from browsing online is that this was a very popular model around 1960.

If (2) I'm tempted to give it a shot; after all, old gear is cool :D

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

hahaha. just gotta laugh. in the 60's in my very first band with my first electric guitar and amp that amp was a used Gibson Skylark. it had reverb too. does yours? anyway, I never had any balls. never was loud enough. it was a crappy amp and I was embarrassed by it. I could turn my guitar full up and face the amp hoping for feedback; nothing.
dont buy it. run away and dont look back.
for three hundred you can do better.
one of my favorite amps is a 58 Gibsonette. one ten inch Jensen speaker and an on/off switch. low wattage, overdrives nice. a killer amp for under 300. look around.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Nice little amp. Dang, $300 gives me sticker shock! Haven't checked the market rate for them lately, though.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I think you can buy one on eBay for a lot less... I was shopping for a tube amp a while back and if I remember correctly the Gibson Skylark usually went for around $200.

ReplyQuote