Notifications
Clear all

Guitar amp for Wedding band situation

10 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@guitarguru2)
Topic starter  

I am currently using an Orange Crush 35 ldx wich is a 35 watt solid state amp in my wedding band. I also have used my Fender 40 watt tube hot rod deluxe. I love the Fender but I want something small, portable, light and something that will cut through the mix as well. I have been miking the Orange with an sm57. I am interested in the Hughes & Kettner 18 watt tube meister which is 18 watts and all tube. Any thoughts between continuing the use of the Orange Crush or get the Hughes & Kettner or any other ideas?

(@ezraplaysezra)
Honorable Member

You have an HRD and you want something light and portable? And what's the problem with the amp and mic situation you have now? The H&K is a bit pricy for an 18 watt small head, not meaning it's over-priced I just think there are equally good small heads (under 25w) priced better and much better small heads for a little more. I played the H&K TM 5 (5w) and thought it was a good little amp especially for classic rock and funk but the price was loco (at least $400) I think the 18 is what, $600? Plus a cab. I think you're getting something slightly less portable than the orange and not as nice as the HRD. One mans opinion.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Hmm can't really help you as I have an HRD and find it a bit heavy to lug around all the time and we are just starting to get some gigs and my setup has been to run both the HRD and a Marshall JCM 900 combo through a AB/Y switch means I will now have two big heavy amps to lug around.

I was looking for something similar and ended up with the Marshall only becasue the price was right and I knew the guy that sold it to me.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@ezraplaysezra)
Honorable Member

You boys need to do some push ups or something. I put a SVT on a the greenline in Boston once to do a show.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Is not that I'm not strong enough, it's just a pain and I'd rather not lugg the crap around.

ReplyQuote
(@ezraplaysezra)
Honorable Member

That explains the size of your dog! haha. I also gigged with a silverface champ and a senheiser 906 when I first switched to guitar. Size isn't everything. I wasn't really challenging your manhood. smiley thing.

ReplyQuote
 Crow
(@crow)
Honorable Member

You guitar players... sheesh. eye-rolling smiley thing.

Guitar Guru, it depends on the size of the wedding, doesn't it? I have a 5-watt National tube amp from the '60s that cuts nicely in a 200-seat church auditorium, and I've never been to a wedding reception with more than 200 people. Anything bigger, I'd want more watts. That Orange Crush 35LDX has some kind of line-out option, yes? That into the PA should help you if you wind up playing, say, Paul McCartney's next wedding. It's 22 pounds, and if you get much lighter than that, Sir Paul will not be pleased with its output.

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream." - Frank Zappa

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Ezra...it's all about downsizing. I always hated little dogs and cats, I always had large dogs mainly German Shepards. When my wife at the time was going through chemo for breast cancer she wanted a small dog for company so we got a Lhasa Apso ( not the one in my avatar).

After that I told her no more dogs/cats and she came home with the one in my pic. it looked like an ugly possum, but I have to say both dogs have grown on me and they are great dogs.

And it is alot easier to care for a couple little dogs that weigh about 15 lbs compared to those 100 lb+ German Shepards although I'd still love to have another.

ReplyQuote
(@ezraplaysezra)
Honorable Member

Down sizing. One of my wives got a house and a Porsche and I got a cat. I hated cats but he has grown on me.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

To be honest it's not so much the weight of the amps although they aren't super light it's just awkward lugging them around probably less so in clubs but I used to bring them to practice and it always seemed like there were these tiny stairwells I had to lug the thing down and they became a pain.

I like easy and simple.

I was looking for a smaller amp myself with a killer tone figuring if I ever needed more volume I would mic it and run it through the PA...instead I ended up buying the Marshall and now that I am running both and really liking the ability to change bewteen the Fender clean and Marshall distortion I just screwed myself becasue now I'll have to lug two amps to a gig. :shock:

ReplyQuote