Notifications
Clear all

Guitar Cabinet Project

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@86gibson)
Topic starter  

Have purchased a valveking vk100 head and was wanting to build my own cabinet for it. Just wanted some good places to get started. I was planning on a 2x12 and already know to use good quality birch. Didnt care for the sound of the valveking cabinet much. Was thinking of going with greenbacks but possibly thats not enough wattage?? Also from what I read people are also putting tweeters in cabs?? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

(@prndl)
Reputable Member

>> already know to use good quality birch.

Most use select soft pine for cabinets and grade BC plywood for the baffle boards.

These days it's difficult to find good quality select soft pine boards. The premium stuff is a lot more expensive, without knots and denser, which makes the cabinet heavier and harder to vibrate. Some believe that knots add to the unique tone.

1 watt of pure tube tone - the Living Room Amp!
http://www.naturdoctor.com/Chapters/Amps/LivingRoomAmp.html
Paper-in-oil caps rule!

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I wouldn't fool with tweeters, unless you're building a cab for an acoustic amp.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

Some believe that knots add to the unique tone.It will be very unique when they vibrate loose & fall out! :lol: Seriously though; I have always heard that Birch is the wood of choice as well.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Soft pine wasn't originally used because of any special sonic properties, but because it was cheap.

(Same reason as for most of the component choices in the classic gear we've all come to know and love the sound of. Happy accidents, to a considerable extent.)
:mrgreen:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote