Clear all

guitar effect power supply

12 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@mandarinn)
Topic starter  

Hey!
I bought the Fullbore Metal guitar effect a month ago, put in a battery and played like my life depended on it.
And now the battery is empty... i thought it was broken, after testing multiple batteries it turned out it was okay, but I was amased by the speed it sucks energy...

anyway, I'm afraid to just try this in case I break it. But can I put in a battery AND use it with an AC adapter? Like, when I'm at home I use the AC adapter (so the battery Won't be used) and when I disconnect the adapter, it switches itself to the battery?
is this true? because those 9V batteries are to pricy to just buy one each month :')

Thanks in advance!

(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Yes, you can leave the battery in and play with an adapter at home. You unplug the guitar cord or the lead to the amp when not playing as that sometimes drains the battery.

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Like Blue jay siad if you keep a guitar plugged into the pedal you will drain the battery very quickly.

I gave up on batteries they aren't worth the trouble I only use AC power for all my pedals.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

you found out that some effects pedals suck power like a starving giant panda. I always unplug the IN cable when I am not using the pedal(s). even if it is at a rehearsal, break in a gig, or just hanging out playing with friends, anytime I won't be playing for a more than a few minutes my cord is unplugged.
if you begin to amass pedals, like we all do and you will too, some purchased a pedal board organized. they come with a power supply. I used a simple wall wart 9v adapter for awhile. now my rig is more complex so I purchased a power supply unit with six outs. all my pedals continue to have a battery inside, but my worries are over.
I use a SignalFlex PS9 power unit. this one does not make any noise or cause noise in the circuit. I heard that some can.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@rwagn182)
Eminent Member

if you want a cheap option thats about the same cost of 3-4 9 volts, you can always go with the ac adapter and a 1 spot 5 pedal power adapter. it will power up to 5 pedals, you can get one for 8 pedals too. i use one they are basically noise free if you put electrical tape around the unused adapters. they are great for live pedalboards

ReplyQuote
(@rixis)

I have found that if I use the One Spot 9 volt adapter to power effects before the amp (wah, tuner, chorus, etc.) that there is alot of buzz and hum when I'm not playing.

If I use batteries in the effects before the amp, it's almost silent when I'm not playing. Does anyone have any insight as to why? I don't want to put some of these effects into the effects loop after the gain stage since it's a completely different sound.

I have not tried any other 9v power adapters so if anyone has any suggestions for a different adapter for correcting this problem I would greatly appreciate it :)

Thanks in advance,

rixis

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I use a One Spot into an ME-70 now and dont have any hum. I used to do the same with individual pedals and the One Spot without an issue.

I did have an issue with a Dean Markley tuner pedal but I dont use it anymore so I'm not sure if it was related to the One Spot or not.

Is the One Spot and the amp plugged into the same outlet? Have you tried switching the outlet?

ReplyQuote
(@jethro-rocker)

I found my One Spot seems to hum lots if I use it with the Digital reverb pedal - I believe the reverb pedal requires too much current so I simply use one adapter for it and the One Spot for the rest. No noise issues. Some effects require at least 300 mA of power or more, you should make sure the One Spot has enough for a multitude of effects.
Cheers!

ReplyQuote
(@jethro-rocker)

I found some noise when using my One Spot with a digital reverb - I believe the reverb requires more power than the One Spot can divide up. I now connect the reverb with a dedicated supply and One Spot does the rest.
Cheers!

ReplyQuote
(@rwagn182)
Eminent Member

that buzz might be the unused adapters hitting something. if you have any unused adapters, put electrical tape around them

ReplyQuote
(@rixis)

Thanks for the replies everyone - nothing I have tried yet has made a difference. I have tried all your suggestions - I appreciate them all - thank you !!

The I-Spot is plugged into the same power bar, and I have tried both ways of connecting the I-Spot as well to see if it's a polarity thing.

If I connect the I-Spot to even just one of the pedals before the amp I get the hum, or more like a buzz. I wrapped up the left over plugs with electrical tape and no difference. I even connected just one pedal to the I-Spot output without the daisy chain and still NOISE !!

I sent and email to support @ visualsound dot net just now to see what they can suggest. I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks, and Rock On !!

rixis

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Have you tried the Onespot and each pedal individually to see if one aprticular combo is causing the hum?

ReplyQuote