Clear all

Guitar through a PA

11 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@necrotic)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

After recently blowing the little practice amp i had been playing with, I decided to experiment and ran an instrument cable with an RCA plug on one end from my metal master distortion pedal to the stereo reciever in my home theatre system. I liked the sound that this setup gave and it led me to two questions:

Would it be a good idea to run my guitar through a PA, and if so, what equipment would be best for this?

I don't know alot about PAs, so the help would be much appreciated.

Thanx,
TJ

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

That would depend on the inputs to the PA. If there is an instrument input, then you could plug your guitar in, directly. Otherwise, you would have to run it through something that would convert your signal to line level, to make it compatible with the PA inputs. You could get a simple DI box or use a line out from an equaliser or effects unit. Another way would be to buy yourself a small tube preamp, with line out - "tube" tone and tube distortion, included.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@necrotic)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I have a PA like setup, and i can plug my guitar in fine, but it requires bare wire connections out to the speakers. Is there any way possible to use a speaker with a 1/4" or Speakon connection?

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

You can use any speaker that matches the impedance (Ohms) and wattage (low power amp into big watt speaker will go, high power amp into low power speaker = goodbye speaker - unless you're very, very careful) of your amp output.

Greybeard's Pages

ReplyQuote
(@necrotic)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Where would i be able to find a speaker cable with a 1/4" plug on one end and bare wires on the other end? I'm on a budget so i would like to avoid flashy and fancy wiring.

Also, what are banana cables typically used for? I saw them on the internet and became curious about their use.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Where would i be able to find a speaker cable with a 1/4" plug on one end and bare wires on the other end?

You can make one in a few minutes.

Greybeard's Pages

ReplyQuote
(@necrotic)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

OK, any suggestions on cable type or parts or anything like that? Im not a wiring expert in the least and i want something that will work, unlike my concoctions.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Jack plugs are pretty much jack plugs.

Go to Radio Shack or Maplins and tell them what you're looking for - they'll know what to give you.

Greybeard's Pages

ReplyQuote
(@diceman)
Reputable Member

The sound of an electric guitar is so much defined by the amp that it is plugged into that it's hard for me to believe you would be happy going directly into the board . What we're used to hearing is the sound coming out of basically a woofer (or two or four etc.) . When you plug directly into a mixer you are accessing the full range of the system and I think you will find that everything is way too trebly and bright . There are preamps and effects boxes that compensate for this by attenuating those frequencies so it is more in line with what you would get out of an amplifier and I think you would be happier with the results if you used something in between your guitar and the PA .

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

ReplyQuote
(@strunglikeahorse)
Eminent Member

Agreed - guitar -> distortion -> PA will more than likely sound pretty horrendous...similar to a really tiny practice amp, only much louder, and much fizzier ;)

Best bet if you don't wanna spend mega bucks is to pick up a multi-fx pedal (Zoom 707, Korg AX1000/1500G, etc.) and just place your distortion pedal (if you're happy with it) pre-multi-fx and enable only the cabinet emulation module and nothing else (well perhaps a bit of reverb/ambience). Also, the distortion on most modern multi-fx pedals is quite passable, and in some cases excellent, such as some of the PodXT demos I've heard. So you might not even need to use your distortion pedal. But yeah, I'd say this is the way to go. Plus you'll be able to take your guitar and your effect-board anywhere and jack straight in using either stereo minijack, or stereo quarter inch, and get a predictable consistent tone!

Who sucked out all my mids?!

http://www.soundclick.com/chimpspanner

ReplyQuote
(@necrotic)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Well it's apparant that I have ignored this topic for quite awhile. I have taken all things into consideration and have pieced together a setup which includes a JVC 300w stereo reciever and a 400w cab with 14in woofer and 8in horn. The reciever has a 7 band EQ and I am using a friends DOD EQ pedal until I can afford my own. That combined with the 14in woofer gives plenty of bass to deliver power, but allows me to clean up the treble so it doesn't sound like old time radio. Thanks for the help everyone, it was much appreciated.

ReplyQuote