Marshall JCM2000 TSL100
Marshall JCM900
or
Marshall JCM800
Who knows?
anyone?
I'm about to buy a Mode Four
and I need to know just incase.

You're a god among insects, never let anyone tell you different.

(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

As long as their All tube. back in the day and still for the thrill I use JCM 900's Model 4500 modified 50 watt and a 2100 100 watt modified.

Hope it helps

joe

ReplyQuote
(@marshallsw)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I've talked to a few marshall dealers about it, and they all say "For REALLY LOUD, yet toneful power, go for the Mode Four"
So...I don't know.
At first I did want a JCM 900
But I dunno...
oh and a Mode Four is solid state

ReplyQuote
(@petrix)
Estimable Member

A Fender Twin ;)

"I had these dreams that I would learn to play guitar, maybe cross the country, become a rock star"

ReplyQuote
(@marshallsw)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I'm not talkin at home, or garage band type amps.....I'm talkin  Marshalls baby...
Though a Fender Twin is nice.

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I'll admit it, I love the sound of an All tube Marshall stack running at the saturation point. As I ventured through life I figured I can still get my sound and tone without being the loudest boy of the block.

Last weekend I played two nights with two different rock bands on the same venue. I used a 12watt early 60's All Tube Gibson falcon Amp for the delayed signal and Miked it. I also did use a rack mounted tube pre-amp with a carver power amp pushing 2x12 cabinet to monitor my playing that was not miked.

At first a few musicians rolled their eyes and said thats all your going to use. When I was doing a sound check their opinions changed real Quick. They were asking how you getting that guitar to talk like that. Whats in the back of your rack. I just smiled and squealed a bent pinch harmonic with my Floyd Rose...lol

joe

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I'm not talkin at home, or garage band type amps.....I'm talkin  Marshalls baby...
Though a Fender Twin is nice.

Apart from the fact that a Fender Twin is anything but 'practice/garage', I have to say that I would NOT go for the Mode Four. To me, it simply doesn't sound like real marshall tube sound. And looking at the huge pile of used Mode Fours in the local stores I am not the only one. If you are going to spend that much money, do it right and get a full tube one. Which one is purely up to your taste, I myself really dig the good ol' JCM800.

And don't worry about 'real loud'. They are all real loud. Looks like those salepeople are running out of reasons why anyone should buy a Mode Four...

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Marshallsw,

The current Fender Twin puts out 100W. All other things being equal, to get just twice the volume, you would would need a 1000W amp!

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@petrix)
Estimable Member

Yeah, my comment on the fender twin wasn't particularly useful, but I just hate the sound of Marshalls.

But on the marshall side of things, I don't recomend a Mode Four, I agree with Promedics, Theyre not quite the real thing

"I had these dreams that I would learn to play guitar, maybe cross the country, become a rock star"

ReplyQuote
(@stock28)
Estimable Member

Marshall JCM2000 TSL602. All tube three channel amp. Sixty watts into two 12' speakers. More than loud enough for any medium sized venue and still sounds pretty good at bedroom levels. Bonus: won't break your back moving it.

ReplyQuote
(@marshallsw)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hmmmmm....
Gawd...choices on a new amp get harder every day...
Ok, let me tell you the sound I'm trying to achieve.
I want it to sound like metallica's distortion
yet I want as much low end as possible and as much high's as possible.  
Not to use, but if i WANTED it..
What about a JCM2000 TSL100?
Oh and just to let you all know
I want a half stack, not a combo.  
So, a modefour isn't that good?
I've heard from people who's used it that's it's not that good.
And i do want a tubed amp.
What about a 5150 II ?
Those are supposed to be BAD ASS.
What do you guys think?

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

So you wanna be bad do ya?

Check out Mesa/Boogie. Go to artists and look who uses them.

But, they are X spend sive!

http://www.mesaboogie.com/

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Last weekend I played two nights with two different rock bands on the same venue. I used a 12watt early 60's All Tube Gibson falcon Amp for the delayed signal and Miked it.

I'm sure I am not the only one who wants to spend a month with Joe's amp collection.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

I'm sure I am not the only one who wants to spend a month with Joe's amp collection.

Just a month? It'd take me that long to stop drooling. Hey Joe if you ever need a house sitter....... ;D

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

You to will after playing for years will collect a few amps and guitars in your life time and will think on ways to experiment with your sound and tone. It's all in what you want to do with your life and the choices you make.

Staying in school and learning everything you can about guitars and amps and how they work and why.  Always Think Positive and focus on being you. Most of all have fun doing it.
And Smile, it inceases your face value.

I use to run and still do use mega watt amps, but as life has shown me I get what I need from a small all tube 12 watter with a 12 inch speaker and still run with the big dogs.

joe

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2