Clear all

Hearing myself!

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@dshogan)
Topic starter  

Hi everyone.

I'm a sax player but I need advise from all 'in-the-know' about guitar pedals!!!!

I'm running through a really simple pedal setup (radio mic, eq, reverb, > PA) for function/wedding gigs. Because the sound on stage is loud, I use ear defenders...

In case anyone hasn't had a chance to talk to sax/brass players before who use ear defenders; in a nutshell, it makes you're instrument sound terrible because the majority of the 'heard sound' travels via vibrations in the mouth/teeth before it arrives at your ears. In fact, If you put your fingers deep in yours ears and talk it gives you a good idea of how it effects wind players.

I was hoping to add another pedal to the last stage of the pedal board which splits the signal two ways; one being a simple bypass output to allow the signal to reach the PA, and the other being a headphone output (alongside a knob controlling headphone volume).

That way I can use in-ear monitors, partially as dB ear protection, but also to allow me to hear a trickle of my own playing (aiming to improve the rubbish overly-muffled and completely unnatural sound that I'd normally hear....)

Has anyone come across a simple earphone amp pedal like this before?

Kind regards, David

(@1armbandit)
Estimable Member

Not a pedal but my wife and I used these with the praise band we were in. I play harmonica and have the same problem, I can't hear myself so I tend to back off on my playing.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/behringer-micromon-ma400-headphone-amplifier

The microphone feeds through and can be adjusted seperatly from monitor feed, more me in the headphones. That along with the isolation of earbuds cuts out the overly loud drums in our small building.

Might help you out, the price is easy to swallow also.

Jack

ReplyQuote
(@dshogan)
Topic starter  

Thanks Jack !

That looks like it might do the trick nicely.. I suppose I'll have to use a DI box with it's "thru" jack to split a signal to the headphone amp whilst still having an XLR output for the sound-desk.

Ah, it's all coming together wonderfully :)

Best, David.

ReplyQuote
(@1armbandit)
Estimable Member

I used a clamp like this fastened to each one then they could be clamped to the mic stand at a height that was convenient.
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1290501&kw=clamp&lmdn=Price+Range&searchId=55835138604
Painted black of course.

Since I sit on a stool to play the wires don't get in the way. I use a 6' extension with a 4' cord on my earbuds.

Good luck

Jack

ReplyQuote