Clear all

Heavy on a Strat?

15 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@alexk)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Does anyone know how I can make my Strat get heavy? I have a Marshall that can give you a lot of gain, but when my Strat is on bridge pickup it sounds really harsh, like paper being ripped. So do you know how I can thicken my Strat? How did Hendrix do it? I want to be able to get a "Spanish Castle Magic" thing going on. I'm thinking of something along the line of a gain pedal or fuzz pedal or something. Thanks.

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Hendrix had many ways, but he didn't necessarily use the bridge pup for his sound, he also used the middle or neck.

His pedals were 60's analog and customised, he used a fuzz face for distortion.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

i find the neck tones on most guitars to sound fatter and warmer... most..meaning the 2 ive payed attention too (les paul and strat)

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Here's a page that should be interesting to you.

http://guitargeek.com/rigview/354/

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Hendrix used insanely tweaked and modified amps, which is the main reason why hi sound is so fat. Unless you can get your hands on a similar amp, your best bet is humbuckers. Yup, thats right. People will probably shoot me for saying this, but the cheapest way to get such a soung is by NOT using a strat.  :P

However, if that is not an option, a fuzz-pedal is definitely an option. Hendrix was really into the fuzzy-distortions, and it will definitely help to get close to it (sidenote: is it just me or did Muse start a Fuzz revival with modern European rock bands?).

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

If you consider the unique string tension was created by stringing the guitar for playing left handed, along with the tone from the reverse angled pickups. add some effects and a marshall you can maybe get close.

joe

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

So, There it is!  Get a lefty Strat and reverse  the set up.  Try to get the samekind or similar or resissue effects and amps.  Go to Mississippi to a place where two dusty roads meet and ...

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@jstar)
Eminent Member

You will get more meat out of a strat if you boost the mid knob on your amp.  I do that for all my students who come in with their squiers and it instantly thickens up their thin sound.  Give it a try.

Music is therapy. Music is celebration. Music is everywhere. Music is life!

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

Stevie ray vaughan had a very similar setup/sound... if you listen to his stuff it sounds just like (and in some cases, in my opinion, actually better then) hendrix, so if u had a look at what he played then maybe you could be closer to getting that sound. Humbuckers would be a good idea, i have a strat copy but it has a humbucker in the bridge, it definitly does give it an edge.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

I'd probably use a combo of the neck and middle pickups, and a medium distortion.  I like to roll off my bass a little and turn up the treble and the total volume, leaving the mids in the middle.  With the amp I'm using, I get some real bite.

ReplyQuote
(@monkeysatemysoul)

try putting on heavyer strings, they will give you a thicker fuller sound

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

I recommend the neck pickup. I play on it most of the time.

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Go to Sunday mass and maybe the Big Guy upstairs will give you the sound you're looking for. Just kidding. Lots of good posts yet I have little to offer than to say find your own tone. Be yourself with what equipment you have and practice from there.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@risingforce)

Does anyone know how I can make my Strat get heavy? I have a Marshall that can give you a lot of gain, but when my Strat is on bridge pickup it sounds really harsh, like paper being ripped. So do you know how I can thicken my Strat? How did Hendrix do it? I want to be able to get a "Spanish Castle Magic" thing going on. I'm thinking of something along the line of a gain pedal or fuzz pedal or something. Thanks.

I guess you want to play your guitar more hard. In my opinion, replace your pickups is the best way to get higher gain from a strat. "Di Marzio fast track 2" is the best choice. Look at http://www.dimarzio.com

Good luck... :wink:

You've got desire... so let it out...you've got the power... stand up and shout

ReplyQuote
(@greatone_12)

asuming the strat has single coils in right now you should try putting a humbucker in the bridge position i think fender gives you space there (correct me if im wrong)

ReplyQuote