Skip to content
Help..I blew my amp...

Notifications
Clear all

Help..I blew my amp today!!! And I knew better.

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@funkyg)
Topic starter  

I knew better...it was against my better judgement. I KNEW I needed a LOAD for the amp - but my drummer complained that the mike I was using was causing his drums to BLEED into the mix...and insisted I use a direct box.
Not a speaker line direct box...but a regular direct box....but my amp a CRATE GXT-210 does not have a line out - it had a speaker out. :?

I knew better. But today we were at the start of the service and someone broke the cable that was sending my mic signal - drummer set an AMP on top of it. I got another mic and another cable got ready to plug in...and he asked me - can't you just try the direct box??

I did..it sounded great and all was well...until the amp shut off and never came back on. :evil:

Anyone have any idea what damage was likely done to the AMP?
I worked on electronics in the NAVY...I was an electronic tech (Cryptologic Technician Maintenance) for 10 years.
So I probably can repair this. I am wondering if the damage was likely done to the final output gain stage of the amp or if it was more likely a power component that opened up.
But I wonder if there are likely some fuses built on to this amp circuit to protect against such stupidity?
I plan on taking it apart sometime this week to survey the damage.

Anyone ever done this?? And know what typically happens in this case?

I am also looking for a good source for the schematic for this amp.
I got a block diagram but that won't do.

Thanks in advance.

I will NEVER listen to my drummer again. He is an architect who is a musician.
I am an electronics/computer repairman who is a musician.

I should have known better. Well I did..but I let someone talk me into something I knew went against my own better judgement.
There is a bright side - if and when I get the amp fixed, I found a direct box with a speaker simulator (load) circuit on it...so if I ever need to do this again...I will do it correctly and not blow up anything.

FunkyG
in Hampton,VA

(@stratman_el84)
Estimable Member

You *may* have lucked out, and possibly just blown the internal fuse (look where the AC power wires and the power transformer wires connect to the printed circuit board) but most likely you've fried the power transistors in the power amplifier. If you find a blown fuse and replacing it doesn't fix it (the fuse blows straight-away when you power it back up), then for sure you've damaged the power amp. You can try getting it repaired, but may find the cost to be such that buying a new one may be more economical in the long run.

Keep in mind that once a solid-state piece of gear like an amplifier, TV, etc has had major component failure(s), especially if electrically abused, other parts have been stressed and had their lives shortened dramatically. You may end up paying for a repair, then have the amplifier fail again down the road after a relatively short time. As for schematics, contact SLM Electronics, 1901 Congressional Drive. St. Louis, MO 63146. 1-800-738-PARTS (7563). Good luck!

Cheers!

Strat

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

If your amp needs a costly repair, it may be idea to salvage something out of it - if you have good speakers in the combo, it may be worthwhile buying a head and keeping the combo as a speaker box.
One advantage would be that you could (also) get yourself a tiny 1W (or less) tube amp for those days when you're going to go directly into the PA and want tone rather than decibels (it'd also make your drummer happy :D ).

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote