Skip to content
Help! Smoke coming ...

Notifications
Clear all

Help! Smoke coming out of my Peavey Classic 30? No Sound!

9 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@pa2ad0x)
Topic starter  

Well, as you know, it's summer and *VERY* hot over in California, The temperatures go up to 100+ degrees in the valley. Well, I was having a jam session with my band at my drummer's house, no air conditioner, only one fan, and it was blazing hot.

My Peavey Classic 30 started up just fine but I soon started to notice a *burnt* smell coming from it's direction. Soon after that the sound died off completely. I checked the cables and it was fine. I checked the tubes, they were still on. I checked the power switch, the amp seemed to function normally, BUT THERE WAS NO SOUND!

Soon after that, I took the cable out and found SMOKE coming from the input hole! When I touched the amp it was very hot. I decided to turn it off and let it cool off abit. After afew hours it still did not produce any sound even though the amp was able to turn on and the tubes had light in them.

I am not very knowledgable about the mechanical side of guitar amps so I have no clue how to go about fixing this, can anyone offer any suggestions? I'm thinking my amp got so hot that it kind of burnt the electrical wirings in the amp or some such but I'm not sure. Maybe it is the speaker? Any input on the matter will help me out alot, thanks.

(@steve-0)
Noble Member

Smoke and burning can never be good, I'd take it in to get it looked at.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I'll take a shot at fixing most things, but the internals of an amp that smell like smoke? Take it to a pro.

ReplyQuote
(@pa2ad0x)
Topic starter  

How would you guys go about getting an amp looked at by a pro?

There are afew guitar centers here and some guitar shops but I am not sure they offer repairs on amps?

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Either phone them or call in and ask.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

These things run on smoke. You have to keep the smoke sealed inside. If it leaks out, you're screwed. Ever try to put the toothpaste back in the tube? That's a lot easier than getting the smoke back in the amp.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@noobie)
Estimable Member

As others have said, take it to a pro. There's all kinds of things that could have burnt for one reason or another.

plz im a noob

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

A few things to think about or try. As other have suggested. Take it in if your not comfortable repairing it yourself and your not familiar with Safety. Someone didn't put the wrong fuse in it at anytime did they?

First unplug the amp, open it up and look for what's burned, charred, or looks overheated . Good chance you'll see what's causing the smoke and smell. In most cases the part causing the problem is a power handling component. Also in some cases the part burning may not really be the faulty part until after the fact.

Here's some possible causes. This is a small list of what I would look for first. Please becareful if you open the amp up, cap's can still hold a charge for sometime after the power has been disconnected.

A shorted output tube can overheat the output transformer or the power tranformer.
A short between the transformer winding and core.
Failing power filter capacitor.
Failing power transformer.
Failing power filter capacitor.
Failing output transformer.

joe

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

As he's still getting power to the tubes, I'd have bet on a dying/dead output transformer.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote