Help with an amp setting?

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Does it sound good to you?

I typically prefer my mids to be raised and my bass to be a bit higher than my treb. So low to high would be something like 5 – 7 – 4, roughly. I also like my tone knobs on LP to be rolled back a bit to give it a bit of punch. And my reverb is really just used for flavor, at maybe 1 or 2 at the most. My presence is usually at about 5 or 6.

It also helps (especially if you don't want to use effects) to your master higher than your volume so you get just the max amount of distortion that you would want for leads and such with your guitars volume all the way up. Then you can roll your volume knob down a bit until it sounds the way you want for normal playing and boost it with the volume knob(s) during solo's, etc.

Tone if very elusive and quite subjective. That's how I do it (and I pretty much play just blues), but your preferences may be different.

"There won't be any money. But when you die, on your death bed, you will receive total conciousness. So, I got that going for me. Which is nice." - Bill Murray, Caddyshack ~~ Michigan Music Dojo - http://michiganmusicdojo.com ~~

(@dagwood)
Noble Member

So do it.. its your amp...

Don't be afraid to twist those knobs all over the place.

I'll often find a nice little chord progression and comp around a little bit.. then twist something and play the same thing over and over again.. like 50 times always twisting my knobs, on both the guitar and the amp to find what I'm looking for.

I'm often surprised how I can shape my tone, not just with the amp but the guitar too... tone and volume affect tone as well :)

When I find something I like, I'll write it down (gain - 4, Low - 2, mid - 7 high - 6) Etc. :)

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Hmmm muddy?

Try the gain.. (bring it down) and also boost some mids and down the bass a bit..

The louder you go too, the smaller adjustments you'll need.

Half the fun for me, especially with a new amp, is finding all the different tones I can pull from it. :)

And as I mentioned, don't forget your tone knobs on your guitar and volume, these will affect the tone too :)

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I know you have a Traynor, but check out these Blues Jr. tone settings.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze6roy2/zotemansbluesjuniorsettingsforthefdp/

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote