Notifications
Clear all

Help with an amplifier

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@nichttschad)
Topic starter  

I wanted to know if you guys would have any recomendations for an amp for below $400 with a good clean tone. I am looking for one with preferably 80-100 watts of power and not any effects if they would drive the price up as I already own an effects board.

(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

There are lots of amps that would fall into price range. The real thing to do is try some out at a Music store. What may work and sound good to me my not be the tone for you. You'll get many different opinions on which type of amp to purchase (all tube or solid state), guitarist like myself that have been playing for many of years and have played on lots of different amps. I've always recommended an all tube amp first, equalizer second, attenuator third. Then work from there adding effects.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I am with Joe. Get you a nice tube amp. For your budget, I would consider this.

Peavey ValveKing 112

Peavey has always made great amps. This is very new, but so far it is getting very good reviews. According to the reviews, it has a very good clean channel, and great overdrive as well.

This is a full fledged gigging amp. This is a great value I don't think you can match anywhere else.

Just a suggestion. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@nichttschad)
Topic starter  

Sorry for not explaining myself well, I have had an amp for a long time and was looking for one with more power and a better clean tone :D And That amp looks really good Wes, thanks a lot for the suggestion :D

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

NichtTschad

That was just a suggestion. I have not personally heard this amp, but I have owned Peavey amps in the past and they make good amps.

I put a lot of value in reading reviews. With every amp or guitar you are going to see people who love it, and others who hate it. You kinda have to look down the middle. I also look at the reviewer. If it seems to be a very young player into Punk, they may think an amp with a great clean tone is horrible. They are looking for distortion. And a player into Country is not going to appreciate a great distortion. I do pay more attention to reviews from long time players.

But anyway, when this amp came out I wondered how good it could be at this unbelieveable low cost. But so far, this amp is getting very good reviews on average. So it must be pretty good.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

An old Peavey SS bandit will probably suit you. It's clean channel is so clean it's almost sterile, and it's 75 or 80w and loud as all get out. Beside that it's a workhorse and weighs a ton, you are not going to break it.

ReplyQuote
(@jonnyt)
Reputable Member

Fender Blues Junior. It's not 80 - 100 watts but it's tube and has amazing volume and tons of clean tone.

E doesn't = MC2, E = Fb

Music "Theory"? "It's not just a theory, it's the way it is!"

Jonny T.

ReplyQuote