Clear all

Hey all you D.I.Y.ers!

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Wanna build your own pedals? Check this out B.Y.O.C.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

(@doug_c)
Reputable Member

Interesting stuff. Those enclosures have kind of a low-budget-funky look to 'em. I also like the idea of sockets for transistors, not only for experimentation, but to avoid frying a heat-sensitive component when installing it.
The prices aren't bad, either, for something that appears to include "everything but the solder."

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

$90 for the booster. Those components cost $25 at the outside - the two most expensive are the housing (around$6-7) and the DPTP switch ($5-6), the rest cost peanuts.
Sorry, but they're vastly overpriced, considering what sort of commercial booster you can buy for $90.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

$90 for the booster. Those components cost $25 at the outside - the two most expensive are the housing (around$6-7) and the DPTP switch ($5-6), the rest cost peanuts.
Sorry, but they're vastly overpriced, considering what sort of commercial booster you can buy for $90.
where would I find a housing? I haven't been able to find a Delay for less than 120 USD

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I haven't been able to find a Delay for less than 120 USD
I don't know where you're looking, but there are hundreds - Danelectro, for instance. Idon't think that the BOss delay costs that much. Here in Germany, for $120 I can buy a real 1960s WEM tape echo, let alone a solid state box. On ebay, a Danelectro "tape echo" pedal just went for €78, about $90 (look at the reviews).
As for where you can buy housings, there are literally dozens of online shops, selling housings, DPDT switches, capacitors, resistors, transformers, soldering irons, everything you could ever wish for. Google will answer all your prayers.
e.g. Musicians friend:
Boss DD3 $110
EH Holy Grail $99
Digitech $99
Ibanez $69
Arion 49
Rocktron 59
Danelectro 89
Carl Martin Red Repeat 109
Danelectro Wasabe 99
Don't forget that you have ot factor your own time into the "total cost" of any project, in order to make any comparison to a commercial product.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@prndl)
Reputable Member

For DIY parts, go to:
http://www.smallbearelec.com/home.html

For more pedals, go to:
http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/

Prices for a basic pedal without electronics include:
Box - Taiwanese 125B................ $6.50
Switch - Taiwan Blue 3PDT.........$10.00
2 x Jack in/out ................................$3.50
3 x Pots (Vol, Gain, Tone).............$3.75
3 x Knobs.........................................$2.25
Rubber feet.....................................$0.60
Jack, DC..........................................$1.25
LED Bezel.......................................$0.75
9-Volt Battery Snap........................$0.35
...................................................... -----------
Total............................................. $28.95

Add $10 - $14 for a circuit board, and the electronics and you're around $50.
I thought $75 for the TS-808 Clone was a bit high, but only by about $20, which would cover drilling the box.
Small Bear does have parts lists for a ton of DIY pedals, and with the extra shipping you might be able to save $10 or so.

BTW, The TS-808 clone sounds incredible ... smooth rock distortion just like you hear from your favorite guitarists.
I painted mine the color of fresh-cut green grass (paint from Ace Hardware).

:D

1 watt of pure tube tone - the Living Room Amp!
http://www.naturdoctor.com/Chapters/Amps/LivingRoomAmp.html
Paper-in-oil caps rule!

ReplyQuote
(@xkmangwingx)
Eminent Member

Yeah, smallbear is a good source. Maybe not always the best prices, but they sure have excellent service.

ReplyQuote
(@drewsdad)
Estimable Member

As far as just the electronics go, if you know what you are looking for, try mouser electronics or newarkinone for decent pricing. :D

Life's journey can be hard at times, but you have to realize that you are the only one with the power make it a worthwhile experience.

ReplyQuote