Skip to content
how can i make my l...

Notifications
Clear all

how can i make my lead cut above the rest in gig situations?

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@dimebag)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

hey all

i need a way to make my lead louder!at the moment i got a marshall mg100dfx,a dean ml phantom,a dime distortion,and an ibanez stompbox.

at the moment i just flood it with chorus from the onboard effects,but it causes insanely loud feedback when i cease shredding for a brief break,
i just really want some form of volume boost,ideally with an"always on"silencer"as i use a hell of a lot of gain,also can anyone reccomend a good noise gate???

thanks in advance

dimebag daniel

"forever stronger than all"

dimebag darrell[rip]

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I'd suggest that you buy an equaliser or two - one to shape the sound and one to boost your lead passages.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@dimebag)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

thanks ill bear that in mind

dimebag darrell[rip]

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

If the amp has a line out or 1 volt out, you could place a volume pedal there and run it to another amp thats will be running a louder volume when you press on the volume pedal. I'll agree with using Equalizers also, I bracket everything with an eq.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I believe the ML has seperate tone/volume pots for each pup. Set the neck bucker with some volume cut off and leave the bridge bucker at max. For rhythm you don't need a truckload of gain to get it to sound heavy so you can set your amp up for lead playing and use the volume pot on the neck bucker to lessen the rhythm gain. Switching to the bridge pup will add more gain and more treble/mids which will pierce through the mix better.

Also try an EQ to give your sound a mid boost for lead. The mids are the most important area of your sound since they are the one that gets you through. The lows are usually overrun by the bass and the high frequencies by the drums, so lead instrument and vocals depend on the mid frequencies. Don't use too much reverb or any thick modulation effect like phaser, flanger and chorus. Just a tiny bit can help fatten your sound (see Van Halen's flanger) but too much will create a muddy sound that won't get through no matter how many watts you pump out.

ReplyQuote
(@dimebag)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

thanks guys,andd yes arjen it does have 2 vol knobs,i particularily like this idea too,as it wont cost anythin!!!

cheers

dimebag

dimebag darrell[rip]

ReplyQuote